Roof of Africa 2019

Wacky Wicks

Forum Member
Reaction score
Does anybody perhaps know what happened with the Le Riche brothers on the Honda's?
I see on Race Control both have DNF's
Brent had rear brake problems and burnt out the front brakes in the process

Bruce had same issue and fell out on the last DSP Saturday

Ten Bar

Forum Member
Reaction score
You have to take your hat off to Kirsten, that Gold was tough and long but she managed to finish. Well done.

Does anyone know who won the KTM 300 they had as a raffle.

J37

Forum Member
Reaction score
You have to take your hat off to Kirsten, that Gold was tough and long but she managed to finish. Well done.

Does anyone know who won the KTM 300 they had as a raffle.
Was an older guy, who apparently doesn't ride.
Although his relative(?) did participate in bronze/silver, and did well..

If you've seen the video of Wade doing a burnout on the KTM, the guy who won had a red cap on, and handed Wade the champagne bottle.

adamktm

Forum Member
Reaction score
Regarding the routes (silver)

There were some proper fast sections for the first and last 40km (Roughly) of each day with some technical climbs thrown.
The middle section is where the real difficult riding happened.

There was nothing unrideable, did not make use of the locals once this year.
That being said, if it rained it would have been a shit show of note.

The days were fucking long, especially Friday. If it rained as predicted, the finishers would have been a lot less.
Saturday was a bit more technical but shorter and I enjoyed it a lot more.

I do feel that silver was spot on.
Organising this year was amazing.
Not once were we in the dark on what was happening.
At any time you could send a msg directly to the organisers and they would respond with info within 10min.
Routes were marked to perfection and Altus even opened up the tracks where it was overgrown. No more shots to the knuckles and face
No idea where he found the time and energy to put that much effort into marking.
You could also see that this year it was mapped and marked by a rider on a bike. Not a local on foot.
An amazing effort that I think most will not even notice if they did not compete under the previous organisers
Well done mate!!!

Well done to the organisers too, seems like they have done a really good job. Now we just need to try entice some more of the pros to come and do it.

NUMSCH

Former Duchess of Fourways
Reaction score

If you've seen the video of Wade doing a burnout on the KTM, the guy who won had a red cap on, and handed Wade the champagne bottle.
Nice heat cycle that Wade did but I wouldn't have been to happy if I had just won that bike! :icon_lol:

J37

Forum Member
Reaction score
Nice heat cycle that Wade did but I wouldn't have been to happy if I had just won that bike! :icon_lol:
I've heard they dyno a bike in a similar way... but ya, I'd roll it straight off the stage. Fuck full-gas Wade :icon_e_biggrin:

Pom17

I like trying to get my 4T to lift the front. Soon
Reaction score
Well done mate!!!

Well done to the organisers too, seems like they have done a really good job. Now we just need to try entice some more of the pros to come and do it.
Thanks, appreciate it.

Agree with you, would be awesome to have everyone there.
Do feel we have the right people running roof now, the pros will come with time

- - - Updated - - -

J37

Did you also race? Think I saw somewhere that you would be there but did not bump into each other during the week

Dean_E232

ClutchPump
Reaction score
thanks, appreciate it.

- - - updated - - -

[mention=6570]j37[/mention]

did you also race? Think i saw somewhere that you would be there but did not bump into each other during the week
he did , but follows the advice on the banting thread and incorporated this into his diet , he then fell and hurt his little shoulder

J37

Forum Member
Reaction score
J37

Did you also race? Think I saw somewhere that you would be there but did not bump into each other during the week
I did TT and 40Km of Day 2.
Crashed and tore my AC in my shoulder.

No bike for 4-6 weeks, rehab, then can start pulling wire/cable.

- - - Updated - - -

he did , but follows the advice on the banting thread and incorporated this into his diet , he then fell and hurt his little shoulder
/What he said

Half Bac

Forum Member
Reaction score
Thanks, appreciate it.

- - - Updated - - -

This is the primary reason why a lot of the international Pro's did not come to ROA - date clash with the opening round of the Super Enduro World Championship.......................

https://www.facebook.com/ridersforriders/videos/554202288460371/

This problem will continue to exist unless ROA date is moved two weeks earlier - but this does not suit the school kids and varsity students that want to race Roof...................can't please everybody it seems.

StefanKTM

Forum Member
Reaction score
Thanks, appreciate it.

- - - Updated - - -

This is the primary reason why a lot of the international Pro's did not come to ROA - date clash with the opening round of the Super Enduro World Championship.......................

This problem will continue to exist unless ROA date is moved two weeks earlier - but this does not suit the school kids and varsity students that want to race Roof...................can't please everybody it seems.
Roof Of Africa 2020 date will be 18-21 November 2020:thumbs up: hopefully we see more international riders & Pros next year.

StefanKTM

Forum Member
Reaction score
Yes, I am aware of next year's date. Personally I am in favour of it, my point above being that there are going to be a lot of pissed off lighties (and their parents) as a consequence.
It's a discussion almost as old as the roof itself, on the one hand you have pissed parents and kids that cant make it to the race if it is in November on the other hand you have top PRO international riders that can only do the race if it is in November(which in my opinion is more important for a international event like the Roof as these top international riders bring a lot more spectators and entries from the masses) with the added benefit that local guys that would otherwise never be able to afford it can now also compete against the best of the best. MY OPINION is that the kids that really want to do it can make arrangements way in advance, the Roof of Africa also needs to grow into a top international event again(to become part of the WESS) and no way will that ever happen if they are only able to get 2 of the top 20 international pros to race.
Just my opinion

adamktm

Forum Member
Reaction score
Thanks, appreciate it.

- - - Updated - - -

I wish they would, moving the date to my wife’s birthday has scarpered any chance of me ever going again. She did it in 2014 and said she never wants t again:icon_lol:

swazi_matt

Forum Member
Reaction score
Yes, I am aware of next year's date. Personally I am in favour of it, my point above being that there are going to be a lot of pissed off lighties (and their parents) as a consequence.
they should both be happy, kids will be able to properly study and get a decent matric, there is nothing wrong with them then taking a year off to train for it and win it and become the next wade lol

swazi_matt

Forum Member
Reaction score
It's a discussion almost as old as the roof itself, on the one hand you have pissed parents and kids that cant make it to the race if it is in November on the other hand you have top PRO international riders that can only do the race if it is in November(which in my opinion is more important for a international event like the Roof as these top international riders bring a lot more spectators and entries from the masses) with the added benefit that local guys that would otherwise never be able to afford it can now also compete against the best of the best. MY OPINION is that the kids that really want to do it can make arrangements way in advance, the Roof of Africa also needs to grow into a top international event again(to become part of the WESS) and no way will that ever happen if they are only able to get 2 of the top 20 international pros to race.
Just my opinion
agree, just look at how the local level really took a huge step up when chris birch came an whipped the competition seriously. 3 years later jade was there almost to within a few meters, if there was less karma hovering around him he might have won!!:icon_lol:

International exposure is a benefit to all

Pom17

I like trying to get my 4T to lift the front. Soon
Reaction score
I did TT and 40Km of Day 2.
Crashed and tore my AC in my shoulder.

No bike for 4-6 weeks, rehab, then can start pulling wire/cable.

- - - Updated - - -

/What he said
Sorry to hear, hope you heal up quickly.
I also had a massive fall, but on the TT. Down a 3m drop into a mud hole. Luckily 2 friends were behind me to help me out.
Still dont know how I walked away fro it with no broken bones

Just my opinion
Agree, the laaities will have their time or they will be able to make plans to attend if its that important

I wish they would, moving the date to my wife’s birthday has scarpered any chance of me ever going again. She did it in 2014 and said she never wants t again:icon_lol:
You must be doing it wrong :icon_lol:
My wife is already talking about entering me next while I am the one that is done with Roof and racing

agree, just look at how the local level really took a huge step up when chris birch came an whipped the competition seriously. 3 years later jade was there almost to within a few meters, if there was less karma hovering around him he might have won!!:icon_lol:

International exposure is a benefit to all
:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol: FML

Dean_E232

ClutchPump
Reaction score

Half Bac , what is the ratio of these lighties in terms of numbers that enter the roof , I dont really follow the racing much any more but it would be an interesting stat , after all is about the numbers who enter that will make or break the success of the roof of Africa

Last edited:

StuartC

Forum Member
Reaction score
@halfbac , what is the ratio of these lighties in terms of numbers that enter the roof , I dont really follow the racing much any more but it would be an interesting stat , after all is about the numbers who enter that will make or break the success of the roof of Africa
A lot of adult riders give it a skip due to it being too close to shutdown in December

Ten Bar

Forum Member
Reaction score
Its so funny to read how people think now that now the organizers have been changed the international riders will come running back. The Roof must have really been in bad hands all these years that they managed to attract virtually every single top rider in the world. From Malcolm Smith, Cyril Despres, Heinz Kinigardner, Joachim Sauer, Mario Roman, Billy Bolt, Cyprian, Chris Birch, Jarvis, Gomez, Lars , Letti snr and the list goes on and on. Oh not to mention getting the ROA screened on REDBULL TV

The only time the top guys will come back is if the Roof becomes part of WESS and the Factory tells their riders to go Ride in Lesotho, they cant just make up their own minds to come race.. Every single top rider nowadays has a manager and a contract to abide by. WESS takes preference over everything at the moment. the rumor going is that the organizers paid for Birch and Jarvis's flights and entries to get them to the Roof. There will be no TOP riders until the ROA becomes part of WESS.

With regards the date change, I am sure there was a vote a few years back with like a 90% agreement for December , now in true SA style that is simply ignored. say goodbye to spectators and the youngsters.