Roof of Africa 2019

Pom17

I like trying to get my 4T to lift the front. Soon
Reaction score
Its so funny to read how people think now that now the organizers have been changed the international riders will come running back. The Roof must have really been in bad hands all these years that they managed to attract virtually every single top rider in the world. From Malcolm Smith, Cyril Despres, Heinz Kinigardner, Joachim Sauer, Mario Roman, Billy Bolt, Cyprian, Chris Birch, Jarvis, Gomez, Lars , Letti snr and the list goes on and on. Oh not to mention getting the ROA screened on REDBULL TV

The only time the top guys will come back is if the Roof becomes part of WESS and the Factory tells their riders to go Ride in Lesotho, they cant just make up their own minds to come race.. Every single top rider nowadays has a manager and a contract to abide by. WESS takes preference over everything at the moment. the rumor going is that the organizers paid for Birch and Jarvis's flights and entries to get them to the Roof. There will be no TOP riders until the ROA becomes part of WESS.

With regards the date change, I am sure there was a vote a few years back with like a 90% agreement for December , now in true SA style that is simply ignored. say goodbye to spectators and the youngsters.
Agree with the WESS is the only thing that will bring back the top guys.
All we are saying, or me at least, is that we have the right people to make sure that we have a well organised event worthy of being part of the WESS.

Ten Bar

Forum Member
Reaction score
Agree with the WESS is the only thing that will bring back the top guys.
All we are saying, or me at least, is that we have the right people to make sure that we have a well organised event worthy of being part of the WESS.
Im sure you know the Roof was part of the Red Bull series which has now changed or adapted into WESS.
The Red Bull series was an unofficial series but the riders still scored points to make one of them the King Of Extreme Enduro (I think it was called KOE) It was an unofficial thing but showed who where the best Enduro riders in the world based on those 6 or 7 Red bull events. Then came the Austrians and WESS and ruined it for all the exreme events out of Europe. At least the USA will get a WESS event in 2020 so maybe the ROA might be in for a chance in 2021, you never know.

swazi_matt

Forum Member
Reaction score
In 2011 (when there were loads of top names, Bolton, Hemingway’s etc) Alfie had about 10 foreigners renting bikes from him for the roof, out of curiosity how many bikes did he rent out this year?

Half Bac

Forum Member
Reaction score
In 2011 (when there were loads of top names, Bolton, Hemingway’s etc) Alfie had about 10 foreigners renting bikes from him for the roof, out of curiosity how many bikes did he rent out this year?
He told me 30 - all in Silver or Bronze

Pom17

I like trying to get my 4T to lift the front. Soon
Reaction score
Im sure you know the Roof was part of the Red Bull series which has now changed or adapted into WESS.
The Red Bull series was an unofficial series but the riders still scored points to make one of them the King Of Extreme Enduro (I think it was called KOE) It was an unofficial thing but showed who where the best Enduro riders in the world based on those 6 or 7 Red bull events. Then came the Austrians and WESS and ruined it for all the exreme events out of Europe. At least the USA will get a WESS event in 2020 so maybe the ROA might be in for a chance in 2021, you never know.
I know all the this. Just saying that the event is in good hands and if it has any chance of making a comeback, then Charan Moore and his team are the right guys to make it happen.

Do still believe that there should be an Extreme Enduro Series not this mix match of enduros.
Why combine enduro GP events with Extreme Enduro events.

Did not see a lot racing numbers with the riders initials. As far as I know, those were the international entries, and a quick count amounts to 21 for the entire event.

adamktm

Forum Member
Reaction score
Did you get a prize for coming last? I read on hear it was because you were helping everyone. What’s the story?

whyme

Forum Member
Reaction score
With Start being so close to Maseru does it make a difference on the routes ?

I ask because last year the scenery was AMAZING but very remote though, breakdown there would have been trouble.

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
It gets fuck cold. Surely you know this? Last year at skyrun camp I saw figures of -12 on mountains not too far from where the guys were qualifying. Add wind to this it gets way worse. If it rained you can quite possibly die up there. Fuck all TTFU pills will help you then. On high altitude mountains best be prepared for the worst. Its kak carrying the extras as mostly you dont need it. But when the shit hits the fan, it might save a life.

- - - Updated - - -

I bet you what you want I will walk around there in a pair of shorts and a T shirt, how cold can it be
At minus 12 with howling winds at close on 3000m above sea level. I promise if you do that, you wont be coming down on your own steam unless you roll down:icon_lol:

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
Regarding the routes (silver)

There were some proper fast sections for the first and last 40km (Roughly) of each day with some technical climbs thrown.
The middle section is where the real difficult riding happened.

There was nothing unrideable, did not make use of the locals once this year.
That being said, if it rained it would have been a shit show of note.

The days were fucking long, especially Friday. If it rained as predicted, the finishers would have been a lot less.
Saturday was a bit more technical but shorter and I enjoyed it a lot more.

I do feel that silver was spot on.
Organising this year was amazing.
Not once were we in the dark on what was happening.
At any time you could send a msg directly to the organisers and they would respond with info within 10min.
Routes were marked to perfection and Altus even opened up the tracks where it was overgrown. No more shots to the knuckles and face
No idea where he found the time and energy to put that much effort into marking.
You could also see that this year it was mapped and marked by a rider on a bike. Not a local on foot.
An amazing effort that I think most will not even notice if they did not compete under the previous organisers
Awesome!!!

Was kak watching, so badly wanted to take part rather. The bronze seemed achievable.

- - - Updated - - -

You have to take your hat off to Kirsten, that Gold was tough and long but she managed to finish. Well done.

Does anyone know who won the KTM 300 they had as a raffle.
Agreed, saw some footage from the helicopter. Crazy shit!!!

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
I did TT and 40Km of Day 2.
Crashed and tore my AC in my shoulder.

No bike for 4-6 weeks, rehab, then can start pulling wire/cable.

- - - Updated - - -

/What he said
Day 2 as in day 1 of the race or day 2 as in day 3 of the race??