Roof of Africa - Silver Feedabck

Kiska300

Forum Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone

Want to know from the people that have done the silver class in ROA how was it and if you have done bronze how did it compare to that. I want to do silver though I am a bit nervous.

I have not yet done anyone of the classes my father has done bronze at the ripe age of 52 and finished. My skill level is quite good not gold good by a long shot. I am fit however bike fitness is lacking a bit but can train twice a week on the bike can't do more than that. Do gym 5 days a week and spin between 3-5 days a week as well.

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Tman21

Happily Married
Reaction score
Sounds like silver is the right one for you!

Unfortunately everyone will tell you the year they did silver was the toughest year where actually the toughest year ever was 2014 :p .

Your training seems on par, just make sure you dont skip a weekend and try a 2 day ride here and there before then!

BlankieMan

Team ACTNET Rider
Staff member
Reaction score
if you dont try you will never know ,

take your 1st roof no matter what class (unless you a young or the likes) as a learning curve and plan from there .....

Tmans silver is my gold ,,,,, etc etc etc

Naughty Ian

Gunston Green
Reaction score
They haven't got time to mark properly, the Roof is going to be like a few years back - top riders finished by 11am :icon_lol:

Ten Bar

Forum Member
Reaction score
A few things concern me with this roof.
1. The borders are still not open and to be honest no one knows exactly what the requirement will be to cross in and out of neighboring country,s. This apparently will be communicated by the SA Minister by the 1st October. There is no way some inexperienced individual is giving me a covid test in lesotho to get back into SA as per the current requirements where a covid test not older than 72hrs is required.
2. There is no RTH or Enduro X but the price is still the same
3. If we book a hotel there is no guarantee we will get my money back in full if the race is cancelled or postponed.
4. No neighboring country including lesotho has given their requirements for crossing the border and no one can tell us either until the rules and regulation have been gazetted.

There are just to many uncertainties at present to make a solid decision whether to go or not, They say we can get a full refund if the race is postponed but cannot talk for the hotels.

decisions, decisions ? - maybe save the cash and buy another bike and wait till 2021- F8ck this covid chinese bastard virus

Pastrami

Forum Member
Reaction score
if the borders open my plan is the following , ive trained hard for 3 months for impi silver , if i can finnish it comfotable then i recon i have the ability to finnish a silver roof . done 3 bronze so cant do bronze again . done all the training so i am storng already so lets see braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap

Rage

Forum Member
Reaction score
I just read an article about our positives increasing and that WHO assholes are warning our government regarding level 1.

I was planning on doing my first roof. But I share the concerns raised earlier. I’m going to sit this one out. With some European countries going back on hard lock down with a “second wave”.Our commies will likely follow suit.

fubar

Forum Member
Reaction score
Done both a few times, Silver is about 35 to 40 % tougher.

Pom17

I like trying to get my 4T to lift the front. Soon
Reaction score
Done both a few times, Silver is about 35 to 40 % tougher.
Depends.
Under Charan's rule the 2019 and upcoming Bronze Roofs are social sight seeing rides compared to previous years. They are trying to get the masses back in bronze. So think bronze will be way to easy if you are a fit competent rider.

I reckon if you have a bit of skill and can manage to ride twice a week, you are better off than most silver riders. Go for silver

Kiska300

Forum Member
Reaction score
Thank for the reply guys. After a lot of thinking and stress not knowing what next year holds for myself decided to enter silver seeing that my finances allows for it this year. I am a bit worried with the above COVID and screening however think and hope everything will be okay. Training this week has already been upped quite a bit. Will start riding bike twice a week from this weekend onwards. Accommodation seems silly expensive this year but think it's to do with COVID.