Rusting Helmets

swazi_matt

Forum Member
Reaction score
Not sure how many of you have seen these posts regarding Airoh, Suomy and Leatt helmet strap buckles rusting where they connect to the helmet.

I have only had my Leatt about 2 years and had a look last night and there is some surface rust there already. I am not so fussed at the moment since i only use it for trials now, but those of you who ride fast and or commute, it is worth having a look

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5T6W9NEtq8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d8-g8Tc3KQ

Naughty Ian

Gunston Green
Reaction score
There reply about testing and choosing the right material, ease of assembly, resistance against rust is crap - a decent grade of SS is way better than an electro galv bolt/rivet by far. I'm sure the difference in price cant be more than R5

swazi_matt

Forum Member
Reaction score
There reply about testing and choosing the right material, ease of assembly, resistance against rust is crap - a decent grade of SS is way better than an electro galv bolt/rivet by far. I'm sure the difference in price cant be more than R5
true, I would also imagine that you will get rubbing from the strap and the rivet that would remove any coating (I may be wrong as it is not my field of expertise) makes you wonder what else they have missed? Especially since david knight made a lot of noise about it with his Airoh helmet I believe (Yes i know, nobody listens to him anymore! PS on a side note it seems now that Robbie gordon isnt trying to win the dakar they have roped in DK to take his spot lol)

Bush Wacker

Forum Member
Reaction score
I had an airoh rust through completely, threw the lid away

Dean_E232

ClutchPump
Reaction score
I have just looked at both my helmets and both buckles attached to the rivet are also rusted , my helmets are 4 a 3 years old . I sweat alot and helmet usually soaked so assume that has a role too if material is not correct

George250

Forum Member
Reaction score
I think if you read the small print helmets are supposed to be replaced after 4 or 5 years whether its taken a knock or not.....so I guess thats probably why the buckle are not made from better material.

adamktm

Forum Member
Reaction score
Just checked my Shoei and it’s perfect. Just tried to check my old Airoh, but I can’t see the buckles because the polystyrene cheek parts fell out after about a year and I had to glue them back in.
Just having a look at the Airoh makes me realize how inferior it is to the Shoei.

NUMSCH

Former Duchess of Fourways
Reaction score
I think if you read the small print helmets are supposed to be replaced after 4 or 5 years whether its taken a knock or not.....so I guess thats probably why the buckle are not made from better material.
Some of these are rusting within the first year!

swazi_matt

Forum Member
Reaction score
I have just looked at both my helmets and both buckles attached to the rivet are also rusted , my helmets are 4 a 3 years old . I sweat alot and helmet usually soaked so assume that has a role too if material is not correct
Strange that putting a variation of a coolerbox on your head would make you sweat more :sneaky: would think that the designers would have thought about that. And we are talking about a piece of metal about the size of a R2 coin, it really should have been a no-brainer!

Anyway after the lockdown i am going to see if i can get it replaced considering it is well within the expected life of the helmet

Naughty Ian

Gunston Green
Reaction score
Strange that putting a variation of a coolerbox on your head would make you sweat more :sneaky: would think that the designers would have thought about that. And we are talking about a piece of metal about the size of a R2 coin, it really should have been a no-brainer!

Anyway after the lockdown i am going to see if i can get it replaced considering it is well within the expected life of the helmet
Rather just fix it yourself with SS parts, that way you know it is done properly (y)

Naughty Ian

Gunston Green
Reaction score
Just checked my Shoei and it’s perfect. Just tried to check my old Airoh, but I can’t see the buckles because the polystyrene cheek parts fell out after about a year and I had to glue them back in.
Just having a look at the Airoh makes me realize how inferior it is to the Shoei.
I have got 6 Shoei helmets, off-road, adventure and even a full face one - IMO there is no better helmet out. You can buy parts for them at a reasonable price and they also fit like a glove - it's the only helmet I will buy :thumbs up: