Sherco 300 SEF-R, anyone ride one?

LoopSoosStroop

Forum Member
Reaction score
These look lekker to me. WP suspension, brembo brakes, hydraulic clutch, electric start, fuel injection.

Best of all, 102 kg dry weight. For a 300 cc 4T!

Can be had for about R50-60k, 2013 model with 20-30 hours.

Tempting...

NUMSCH

Former Duchess of Fourways
Reaction score
You don't see many of these around. Are parts readily available?

LoopSoosStroop

Forum Member
Reaction score
NUMSCH said:
You don't see many of these around. Are parts readily available?
Doubt it. But at least I work on my bikes myself, so if I can order I can get it done. Will just be out of action longer if stuff breaks.

Wazi

Forum Member
Reaction score
Mike G my riding buddy had a Sherco - bought it new and had huge hassles with parts, sercicing etc. Nice bikes but no back up and huge fustrashions waiting for parts etc!

LoopSoosStroop

Forum Member
Reaction score
Wazi said:
Mike G my riding buddy had a Sherco - bought it new and had huge hassles with parts, sercicing etc. Nice bikes but no back up and huge fustrashions waiting for parts etc!
Oi

scotty606

Forum Member
Reaction score
There were few niggle issues with first few. As with most new products. But have be noted & sorted.

My mate has 120 hrs on his now & has just done first top end. Original one was not too bad actually.

Spaces are fine, decently priced. Just can't pop to dealer to get them. Take few days from Jade or CT dealer. Unless brake, clutch, sprockets, suspension stuff. As all same as other euro bikes.

Some issues were:
Wiring under tank scuffing though.
T section in radiator hose corroding.
Foot peg pins breaking.
Starter gears Sheering off
Bolts coming loose, mainly due to guys not going through bikes after first service.

I've got mine pretty much sorted.

LoopSoosStroop

Forum Member
Reaction score
scotty606 said:
My mate has 120 hrs on his now & has just done first top end. Original one was not too bad actually.
Doing a 4T top end on 120h is not too encouraging. Wat was replaced? Piston, rings and shims done? Hopefully not more?

ktmpilot

Reaction score
Ask MikeG on the forum about owning a Sherco, his sphincter still hasn't recovered.

The lengths some people will go to just to not own a KTM...

MikeG

Forum Member
Reaction score
I owned a 300SEF-R from the first batch Jade brought in, it had the full Akropovic exhaust as well. It is by far and away the best bike I've ever owned or ridden, for tons of reasons that have been covered in the numerous reviews you can find by googling it.

My issue with owning the Sherco, wasn't the bike or the reliability thereof, when I sold it I had approx 50 hours on it and it hadn't given me any real issues despite taking a weekly pounding at places like WW, TK, Moto101 DW etc, save for the wiring issue Scotty606 referenced above, which the SA Agent replaced at no cost to me. My issues were more around the general apathy of the SA agent and the limited dealer network in Gauteng.

Unlike LoopSoosStroop, I don't work on my bikes, I'm absolutely clueless in this regard, so I rely on a dealer to service my bike. I used ASAP, great bunch of guys, quality shop but they had huge hassles with the SA agent, in terms of getting parts, etc. etc. I'm not slating Jade and co, if you're prepared to chase and nag him enough they eventually respond and supply parts and after sales service, but jeez I had to chase him and chase him to get the support. Was off the bike for three months at one point due to this issue.

So in summary, I sold the Sherco for 50k, and replaced it with a new Husky FE 350 (from ASAP, just can't beat their service). Would I buy a Sherco again, in a HEARTBEAT, but only If there was a proper dealer network in SA, an SA agent who was fully commited to the brand and growing market share in SA. The Sherco 300 SEF-R is light, nimble and by far the best bike I've ever ridden (for my riding style and abilities).

scotty606

Forum Member
Reaction score
LoopSoosStroop said:
scotty606 said:
Doing a 4T top end on 120h is not too encouraging. Wat was replaced? Piston, rings and shims done? Hopefully not more?
piston & rings.

120 hrs is good for modern high revving 4 T.

I know guys I race with doing rings on their oranges bikes @ 40 hrs. ..

LoopSoosStroop

Forum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback MikeG, sounds like a great bike.

Wonder if there are overseas online parts stores where you can get parts shipped from?

Also, does it vibrate so much thought the pegs as a KTM or Husky 350?

MikeG

Forum Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you can source spares online, but you can get parts from Jade, or the CT dealer, chatted to him via email seems to be on the ball. If you go direct to Jade be prepared to nag him a bit. Getting parts locally may be cheaper as they were probably brought in when the rand was stronger (making an assumption here).

I don't recall the Sherco vibrating much, but to be honest I don't notice the vibration on my Husky either, don't think I'm sensitive enough :D

Perhaps Scotty606 can offer better feedback re vibration

scotty606

Forum Member
Reaction score
Alot of the new 4T racing bikes have no kickstart. Husky & ktm XC's don't have.