Shims ktm 350

Rooster

Astrids Bizatch
Reaction score
Before you say rtfm, I'm asking you what you do I have the manual!! How often do you check clearances on your 350 ktm?

DangerDave

NotSoDangerous, Dave!
Reaction score
start bike, warm it up ride round the block slowly and irritate the neighbors, kill motor, kick it once, if it starts valves are good, if it takes a 2nd kick check valves.

Toors

Forum Member
Reaction score
Never even considered shims. Previous 350 did about 250 hours not one issue. Current one on 120 hours no problems. Had a KTM 450 though where you had to adjust every 50 hours or so as it would keep going outside spec and then be an absolute bitch to hot start.

Rooster

Astrids Bizatch
Reaction score
Cool, I'll leave it then. Its running loverly

Rooster

Astrids Bizatch
Reaction score
Manual says to do it, so just checking.

Tman21

Happily Married
Reaction score
They dont chow the valves anymore! No shimming needed, well from experience not in the 1st 750hrs.

Shawn

Forum Member
Reaction score
start bike, warm it up ride round the block slowly and irritate the neighbors, kill motor, kick it once, if it starts valves are good, if it takes a 2nd kick check valves.
If the valve clearances are out it will battle to start cold not hot.

Novice

Forum Member
Reaction score
not to hijack this thread but my 350 battles to start on occasions.

every third ride or so the fi light flickers once and then she struggles to start. Took me 4 minutes to start her on the grid at this weekends GOC, and that was after a good warm up as well.

with 900kms on the bike I doubt its valve clearances. could it be a relay ? the bike makes a "biiizzzz click" sound (lasts about 2 seconds) when she is off, almost as if she is priming the fuel injection. this will continue every half hour for a few hours and then stop.

advise please

BigMike

Medium Mike
Reaction score
novice... on ALL ktm fi bikes. you need to charge the EFI system before you start cranking.

push the button quickly, you will see the EFI light come on and hear the buzzing sound, when it stops, crank the bike and it will start chop chop.

so many guys sits and crank for days and fokkal happens.

it is the same with kicking an FI bike, you need to kick it lightly for 3-4 kicks to charge the system, then you can kick it properly and when the compression is right.

... that being said, 4 minutes to start the bike, i would take it in and ask the KTM guys to get it on the diagnostic PC and see whats cooking

Novice

Forum Member
Reaction score
shot BigMike will do.

yip they even tried to push start me off the line, happy button just swung motor, kick starter just swung motor and then all of a sudden she fired up with a kick and never put a foot wrong the whole day. I even managed 3rd in class on the Saturday.

BigMike

Medium Mike
Reaction score
go and get them to check out the problem

also spoke to aubrey from RAD the other day, he suggested that you spray the efi connection with plenty silicone as they have a tendency to get water in and corrode

Sprocket

Forum Member
Reaction score
Before you say rtfm, I'm asking you what you do I have the manual!! How often do you check clearances on your 350 ktm?
My 2cents on this. I had a 350 from almost new, like 7 hours on it when I bought it.
I do all my maitenance myself. I checked the clearance on 15 hours, the intake valve where a little bit stiff and I loosened them up.
Check on 30 hours and all fine.
Check again on 45 hrs , all fine
Final check at 60 hours before the roof, no problems
Sold the bike @77 hours, all fine.

@ Bike Mike, priming the EFI system before you start it works well. I normally justed kicked it twice. You can hear the pump relay kick in and then after it starts easily

bigpete

Forum Member
Reaction score
My bike was battling to start on Wednesday when I went riding and I suspected valves, I took it to RAD and it was just the throttle sensor position that needed to be reset.

Novice

Forum Member
Reaction score
thanks guys tried the push and prime thing this weekend.

push starter quickly till fi light comes on, hit starter and listen to her roar first time every time.

Split-Pin

Forum Member
Reaction score
Found the nack to our 350

Hit starter with the throttle a tiny bit open imediatly after the starter turns close the throttle and she fires right up