Shit found on interwebs, feel free to share links here for a good laugh

DangerDave

NotSoDangerous, Dave!
Reaction score
could atleast have put the rear shock in straight, ffs that grates the OCD the wrong way

DangerDave

NotSoDangerous, Dave!
Reaction score
Justin W can maybe comment on the backyard mechanics in that progressive spring's affectiveness maybe?

Justin W

Forum Member
Reaction score
Justin W can maybe comment on the backyard mechanics in that progressive spring's affectiveness maybe?
Pretty much standard practice on many stock quad shocks. looks like a Can Am shock. When the coils contact each other (coil-bind) they become null and void so the spring rate climbs significantly as now only the top section of the spring actually moves...in theory the lower section is now solid

Bargain_Hunter

I give Quaddies a bad name
Reaction score
Pretty much standard practice on many stock quad shocks. looks like a Can Am shock. When the coils contact each other (coil-bind) they become null and void so the spring rate climbs significantly as now only the top section of the spring actually moves...in theory the lower section is now solid
Does it make a difference as to dynamics if shock is wrong way in? Not fussed for unsprung weight theory, more so if coil rate is affected. My (limited) unstanding suggests that spring will collapse at weakest point (assuming no physical impediment). Thus, spring could be fitted either way around?
I know some shocks have reservoirs etc and should be fitted correctly.
Do some bikes rear shock slant a bit? DD just being prissy...... Hahahahahaa
Looks like a stock Blaster shock to me. IMBW tho.

Justin W

Forum Member
Reaction score
Does it make a difference as to dynamics if shock is wrong way in? Not fussed for unsprung weight theory, more so if coil rate is affected. My (limited) unstanding suggests that spring will collapse at weakest point (assuming no physical impediment). Thus, spring could be fitted either way around?
I know some shocks have reservoirs etc and should be fitted correctly.
Do some bikes rear shock slant a bit? DD just being prissy...... Hahahahahaa
Looks like a stock Blaster shock to me. IMBW tho.
When a spring compresses the whole length of it moves...remember it's just a coil of spring steel at the end of the day. Assuming the wire is the same from one end to the other the only limiting factor is the close proximity of other coils that essentially "lock" that section and stop it from flexing. If a shock is an emulsion unit (like many forks) it must run upright but if it has a dividing piston with remote canister or piggyback it can run at any angle

Bargain_Hunter

I give Quaddies a bad name
Reaction score
When a spring compresses the whole length of it moves...remember it's just a coil of spring steel at the end of the day. Assuming the wire is the same from one end to the other the only limiting factor is the close proximity of other coils that essentially "lock" that section and stop it from flexing. If a shock is an emulsion unit (like many forks) it must run upright but if it has a dividing piston with remote canister or piggyback it can run at any angle
Cool, that's how I understood it. Just in simpler terms.