Small End Wear

Rooster

Astrids Bizatch
Reaction score
Hi All,

Was doing the top end on my Husky WR300 after 80 hours.... and a unplanned swim :roll: Motor was still running strong but I thought lets do the rings and make sure all is good.

Bore is perfect. I also thought the piston was good to go, until I found these "grooves" when I took out the gudgeon pin.... Is this normal wear and tear? At first I thought they may be oil grooves, but I have a new OEM piston and it does not have this groove.

BigMike

Medium Mike
Reaction score
Is it not worth it to just replace the piston, rings, bearings and gudgeon pin etc.

Rooster

Astrids Bizatch
Reaction score
BigMike said:
Is it not worth it to just replace the piston, rings, bearings and gudgeon pin etc.
Ja plan to. Got the whole lot in shiny boxes! Just want to know if its normal wear... :?:

Oh, btw no more overheating and crazy mods Mike. I finaly got the hang of the clutch! I just run a fan.

Team SBR

Forum Member
Reaction score
Not sure what to look at...? Can you possibly send more pics indicating with a sharp object the grooves in question?

Team SBR

Forum Member
Reaction score
BTW, if you really want to MASTER your clutch!

Replace clutch plates including steel plates, then run only Shell Helix HX5 Diesel 15W-40 Mineral Oil in gearbox. You will never need to adjust your clutch again in a tough technical ride. We raced them WR's for 2 x years with better results on Shell Helix Diesel than any other expensive synthetic oil...

15W-40 Oil is also recommended if you look in the owners manual.

KTMsmoke

Forum Member
Reaction score
That cant be from running the engine. It must have been there from the factory coz its going past the C-clip.

Rooster

Astrids Bizatch
Reaction score
Here is a better pic - what say you? KTM Smoke, I think you have a point

@ SBR the biggest gain I got on the clutch was a new well lubed OEM Clutch cable and switching to ATF. Will try the heli for sure!!

Rooster

Astrids Bizatch
Reaction score
Makes you wonder though, why doesnt the new OEM one have it....

Team SBR

Forum Member
Reaction score
No, that is not from engine wear, possibly not OEM piston, I don't think you need to stress...

Make sure you replace Small-End roller bearing as well!

Rooster

Astrids Bizatch
Reaction score
Team SBR said:
No, that is not from engine wear, possibly not OEM piston, I don't think you need to stress...

Make sure you replace Small-End roller bearing as well!
Thanks!

Stanman

Twat
Reaction score
What they all say,, keeps the gudgeon pin lubed and allows for expansion of the piston and pin

Rooster

Astrids Bizatch
Reaction score
Stanman said:
What they all say,, keeps the gudgeon pin lubed and allows for expansion of the piston and pin
shot Stan