So who's taking over?

Ten Bar

Forum Member
Reaction score
It has been said many times, this forum is not conducive to new members as anyone coming on here for the first time seeing people getting shredded scares them away, add to that the declining numbers of riders and the lack of an economy one will see that it will be extremely difficult to build up the forum as there are minimal advertisers out there with cash to throw away to a forum with 7.3 active members, I rate the day's of forums are on a total decline and personally don't see any way to stop it.
Stuart , i suppose its the glass half full, half empty scenario? Yes the economy is declining and in a terrible state but you go to any riding place on a weekend and you see lots of new bikes, there are dealerships able to afford 120k (if not more) rents so there are definitely business's out there making money out of biking. Maybe you would not get rich out of taking over the forum but I am sure you could turn it into a small business. The big problem is that there are only about 10 active members, if this grows to 1000's then the forum can be revived, Maybe I am wrong ? it would be sad to see it go :icon_e_sad:

DangerDave

NotSoDangerous, Dave!
Reaction score
The days of forums are not over. The Bicycle forum had over R500 mill listed in their classifieds in 2018 alone.(yes half a billion rand on 2nd hand bicycle crap for sale in 12 months)
They specify that over 60% of the forum traffic is due to the classifieds as well so that debunks economy issues.

I can see 250's point of view, a lot of input and a lot of flack with little to no return and if he is not really riding then the interest is not there anyway. I could take over, I do manage a few websites already but the reality is there is no drive for me in it as I rarely swing a leg over a bike anymore. I won't be driving tours, rides, events. I no longer have interest in maintaining race calendars and driving for sponsors and shit. I don't feel like finding money to drive google add campaigns and social media posts. to build the community and get people more involved.

My 2c is that it has to be done by someone with a passion for the sport with time and really minimal capital to get the ball rolling again. But it being driven by a company, a sponsor, a venue will not work, it will just introduce bias.

For reference to the bicycle forum and the potential of a forum.
https://www.bikehub.co.za/features/_/news/industry-news/bike-hub-2018-year-in-review-r7649

Mark800XC

Old and Slow
Staff member
Reaction score
The days of forums are not over. The Bicycle forum had over R500 mill listed in their classifieds in 2018 alone.(yes half a billion rand on 2nd hand bicycle crap for sale in 12 months)
They specify that over 60% of the forum traffic is due to the classifieds as well so that debunks economy issues.

I can see 250's point of view, a lot of input and a lot of flack with little to no return and if he is not really riding then the interest is not there anyway. I could take over, I do manage a few websites already but the reality is there is no drive for me in it as I rarely swing a leg over a bike anymore. I won't be driving tours, rides, events. I no longer have interest in maintaining race calendars and driving for sponsors and shit. I don't feel like finding money to drive google add campaigns and social media posts. to build the community and get people more involved.

My 2c is that it has to be done by someone with a passion for the sport with time and really minimal capital to get the ball rolling again. But it being driven by a company, a sponsor, a venue will not work, it will just introduce bias.

https://www.bikehub.co.za/features/_/news/industry-news/bike-hub-2018-year-in-review-r7649
Nail. Head.

DangerDave

NotSoDangerous, Dave!
Reaction score
The other option is to split it between a group of moderators.

One oke does the IT and tech running of the forum.
One oke does tours
One oke does race calendars and ride updates
One oke does all the social media management
One oke manages the sponsors.
etc

Makes life a little easier but also has associated issues.

@250, how is that electrically disabled 250f?

DangerDave

NotSoDangerous, Dave!
Reaction score
It's a pity e-dirt is no more
E-dirt is still up and running. For all your garden requirements though, you won't get a chance to slag another dirtbiker or abuse Oz's thumb throttle

MRGL

Forum Member
Reaction score
E-dirt is still up and running. For all your garden requirements though, you won't get a chance to slag another dirtbiker or abuse Oz's thumb throttle
Therefore e-dirt is no more

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
:icon_lol:

The forum will be taken over and still run. I am discussing with Mark. Even if it is only for the small lot here and the lurkers. I think its worthwhile. Doesn't have to make a ton of money necessarily.

windhond

Forum Member
Reaction score
I am interested. will DM tomorrow.
Nope, not qualified

Last edited:

shabsta

F800GS ALL THE WAY
Staff member
Reaction score
I’ll take over if 250 wants to cancel it at the end of feb. I’ll gladly upgrade the forum software to ensure the forum doesn’t spammed and hacked to shit.

Mark can nominate who ever to handle the big guns, or take over later in when he has time.

Moto101 will stay - don’t stress.

DenDirtbiker

I fall off a lot
Reaction score
I’ll take over if 250 wants to cancel it at the end of feb. I’ll gladly upgrade the forum software to ensure the forum doesn’t spammed and hacked to shit.

Mark can nominate who ever to handle the big guns, or take over later in when he has time.

Moto101 will stay - don’t stress.
:thumbs up: Lekker bud, welcome back. :icon_lol:

shabsta

F800GS ALL THE WAY
Staff member
Reaction score

Agree 100% - theres a place for forums and this will increase more as FB gets more invasive with their data collection.
I would rather have my posts here where we know who has access to the data and within a community that we trust.

Comments about people fearing to come here because they may get ripped are not entirely true, look at MYBB. 90% of the okes an there are a bunch of whiney AndyAndyAndyAndys and spend 100 pages fighting than having good old banter.
I think moto101 needs more diversity - that will see it grow. Look at how big the ADV forum is and their software is shit, such a kak forum experience.
Password resets dont work, emails take more than a few hours to get delivered etc.

We can get this place pumping again with a bit of community effort and most that are here still are here for the love of the forum and peeps on here, with exception to that little prick that rides the yammy.

:thumbs up: Lekker bud, welcome back. :icon_lol:
shot uncle!

any time man

Adam_10

Forum Member
Reaction score
So, deadline is fast approaching... Has any progress been made with this? Is the forum still going to continue or come to an end?