Sons PW80 keeps dying

Awakener

Ahhhhhhh NOT STOP
Reaction score
Hi all.

For the last 3 rides my sons PW80 has been dying, it does not die from idle but more when you twist the throttle open full, it sounds like it's either suffocating or flooding. Have changed spark plug and air filter, don't think it's the coil.

It only started when the weather turned wet and he mudded up the bike a bit. Don't know if that has anything to do with it though, my next step is to give the carb a clean out but if anyone else knows what th problem could be it would save me a bunch of troubleshooting.

Awakener

Ahhhhhhh NOT STOP
Reaction score
Thanks guys, will take off the carb clean check jets and drain fuel and replace.

Biltong

Forum Member
Reaction score
I had very much the same problem/symptoms with my daughter’s PW80 and found that the breather on the float bowl blocked.

Awakener

Ahhhhhhh NOT STOP
Reaction score
Biltong said:
I had very much the same problem/symptoms with my daughter’s PW80 and found that the breather on the float bowl blocked.
Thanks Biltong, going to check this as well.

Awakener

Ahhhhhhh NOT STOP
Reaction score
OK guys, took off carb, was dirty as predicted and had a fair amount of water in it. Breather was not blocked and needle + float was fine so that's OK. Cleaned the jets and reset the idling. She purring like a kitten again so thanks for all the help.

The cause of the dirty carb I assume is the mud puddles he was noshing through, how can I prevent / minimise water getting into the carb going forward, I will cable tie the breather pipe upwards but that won't solve if the bike takes a nice dip? Any tricks of the trade?

Awakener

Ahhhhhhh NOT STOP
Reaction score
And this is why I need to learn how to fix a PW80, definitely foes not get his skill from me :D

Hotrod

Forum Member
Reaction score
Awesome pic! My son doesn't make air like that but if his rear wheel ever leave's the ground it leaves me with a feeling nothing can replicate. :)

Awakener

Ahhhhhhh NOT STOP
Reaction score
Hotrod said:
Awesome pic! My son doesn't make air like that but if his rear wheel ever leave's the ground it leaves me with a feeling nothing can replicate. :)
Thanks hotrod, Yeh the first time he did it I was cheering and clapping then when he stopped kakking him out for giving me heart attack :lol: