The GAP Year

DT_Mania

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a son finishing up in school this year and, with so many young people, he isn't sure of what he want to do with his life. He is a sport (especially rugby) nut, but although he dedicates his time to it he is not really excelling in it. Academically he is average, and he has marks that will allow for tertiary education. But we still sit with the problem that he is a bit lost on what direction his life will take.

I'm happy to allow him a gap year, or two or even three if he is so inclined. Hell it saved me from myself even if it was in hindsight and after I have ruined University. But it has to be a working experience. He has to start fending for himself even if it is over a gap year - so a "working holiday".

Have any of you guys kids that took a gap or are busy with a gap after school? Any advice will be highly appreciated.

A

armpump

Mine busy with his now.............. holiday at home and going to gym daily.

Must say his Fifa scores are incredible :icon_lol:

Sorry i can't help with valuable info Jurie .................... it is driving my wife nuts him "chilling"

Bush Wacker

Forum Member
Reaction score
Most of my mates who took a gap year in 2008/9 are still floating doing nothing of real substance.
If he doesn't know what to do, find an appyship and learn to do something while he decides what he wants to do..

SCOTTYDOG

Forum Member
Reaction score
Most of my mates who took a gap year in 2008/9 are still floating doing nothing of real substance.
If he doesn't know what to do, find an appyship and learn to do something while he decides what he wants to do..
Also seen that with many of my china's kids! Some are approaching 35 still at home!!

DT_Mania

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It worked for me, and it worked great.

Remember I'm talking about a "working holiday", not chilling around at home like Pomperdomper's kid, that will never do. Maybe the kids hanging around home at 35 needs some tough love, that cannot be all their fault for taking a gap year FFS.

Bush Wacker

Forum Member
Reaction score
It worked for me, and it worked great.

Remember I'm talking about a "working holiday", not chilling around at home like Pomperdomper's kid, that will never do. Maybe the kids hanging around home at 35 needs some tough love, that cannot be all their fault for taking a gap year FFS.
yup. Majority of my mates went on working holiday in Thailand ect, gained no real experience in anything, are 26/7 now and can't find any type of job locally. My doris owns a postnet, she gets kids CV's daily who are have passed their bcom and LLB degrees but can't find an internship anywhere and are willing to stand behind the counter and earn basic salary. my 5c, get him into a workshop asap and get a trade.

DT_Mania

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Again people - it is a "working holiday". It is not for him to try and gain working or career experience or to come back and try and find a job. Just some time to figure out what he wants out of life and where he would like the road to take him. It will still be expected of him to start studies or trade or whatever once he had his time. I really hope that explains it.

swazi_matt

Forum Member
Reaction score
there are also options to do a gap year in the USA/Canada (and other places where you can earn money doing menial tasks) my cousin went over and worked at a camp and a few other places and spent a lot of what he made travelling as part of the year, you cannot beat travel as a form of education. If he can get a trade of sorts before hand that will obviously help.

Bush Wacker

Forum Member
Reaction score
Again people - it is a "working holiday". It is not for him to try and gain working or career experience or to come back and try and find a job. Just some time to figure out what he wants out of life and where he would like the road to take him. It will still be expected of him to start studies or trade or whatever once he had his time. I really hope that explains it.
Yup, and I'm just saying thats EXACTLY what all my mates said nearly 10 years ago..
I thought my parents were being dicks not allowing a gap year and forcing me to do something but right now pretty glad thats what happened to be honest..
To be fair I was also finished matric at 16 and couldnt really do anything on my own anyway so..

FSU!!!

FINGERS!!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Send him on the Yachts I have a few mates who did it and loved every second and made some serious Ammo too

A

armpump

yup. Majority of my mates went on working holiday in Thailand ect, gained no real experience in anything, are 26/7 now and can't find any type of job locally. My doris owns a postnet, she gets kids CV's daily who are have passed their bcom and LLB degrees but can't find an internship anywhere and are willing to stand behind the counter and earn basic salary. my 5c, get him into a workshop asap and get a trade.
This is the part that worries me the most.

Personally think only way forward for young white Men in SA is having there own business.

Oh and not be reliant on BEE status :(

DT_Mania

Super Moderator
Reaction score
there are also options to do a gap year in the USA/Canada (and other places where you can earn money doing menial tasks) my cousin went over and worked at a camp and a few other places and spent a lot of what he made travelling as part of the year, you cannot beat travel as a form of education. If he can get a trade of sorts before hand that will obviously help.
Travel is one of the best education there is. Made me a total different person coming out of a "new" SA in 1994....what a ride that was! :thumbs up:

Send him on the Yachts I have a few mates who did it and loved every second and made some serious Ammo too
There are some very nice options for Yacht and Superyacht seasonal work.

Bush Wacker

Forum Member
Reaction score
This is the part that worries me the most.

Personally think only way forward for young white Men in SA is having there own business.

Oh and not be reliant on BEE status :(
Yebo. BigMike pointed out to me earlier today, a sole prop that turns over under 4mil, can be level 4 BEE certified :)

GMan

Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi try get him to the states to work at the travelling amusement parks. I had a colleague whose son was over there and only good reports.http://www.away2xplore.co.za

Bush Wacker

Forum Member
Reaction score
Bush Wacker how long has Brad been on his gap year???
About 5 years now. He is being smart about his, he has a Yaughts engineers diploma (I think its a diploma), and is earning serious dollars, he has bought a house in the UK with his cash monies.
Another mate who organised Brad his 1st gig on a boat, is still a deckie pissing away his salary monthly, so its up to the individual I suppose.
But not many successful gap year stories I know of... Brad is about it...

DangerDave

NotSoDangerous, Dave!
Reaction score
What subjects did he take at school?

I changed course after a year at uni, didn't really know what wanted to do, but once you are accpeted and in the system it is very easy to chop and change from there once you figure out your direction.

A trade is always a great option, get trade and then open his own company doing said trade, and a trade done through a mine is even better IMO.

If he is doing a working gap year it must not be chilled, make sure it is a kak hard working job like lifting drill steel on a rig, or welding underwater on ships etc(If I went back 8 years I would have gone this direction). The harder the work the quicker he will realise it is tough and he needs every chance he can get to make a good life.

If he wants to be a professional don't waste time, otherwise you are behind the 8 ball from there, start working and earning later, I started working 2 years later than I should and now looking to buy house and settle down I am earning a sallary for 3years experience not 5 years experience and it is a massive difference.

As wacker said, it all depends on individual as well.
And go read all the stereotype stories on the fb page below, I pissed myself because literally know each of them but it will probably affect your thought patterns esp regarding stupid degrees that lead to no work.

https://www.facebook.com/What-a-time-to-be-alive-1237236079651040/

Eben

Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi try get him to the states to work at the travelling amusement parks. I had a colleague whose son was over there and only good reports.http://www.away2xplore.co.za
I did this. I went over with my then girlfriend. We worked 20 hours a day 7 days a week. That's building amusement rides (read: carrying very large pieces of steel, 3AM, -25 Celcius, outside, in the rain.) If anybody ever tells me to TTFU
they should stop talking. I lost 15kg's in just over 9 months, but I could bench 20kg more than my weight. I also came back single because when american chicks hear the accent the panties don't stay on too long.

Some kids went over soft AF and came back looking like ex cons.Big muscles, tattoos and all.
I had a great time though and it changed my life. I was a lazy farker before, living in my parent's house, had nothing. 7 years later after learning "how to work your ass off" I have a double storey house, 4 bikes, 2 cars, a wife, 2 dogs and a really good managerial job.
:icon_mrgreen: