The Good Food and Braai Fred

DT_Mania

Super Moderator
Reaction score
*DISCLAIMER*
armpump - please stay away with any banting or other dietary advice or comments. I'm asking nice - there are plenty other freds where you have ragged on about it and can still do.

Let's have a dedicated fred on lekker chow - whether you made it or had it at a friends or at a restaurant. Gooi it here and add the recipe if you can.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We gooied a whole rump on the weber a while back - running indirect heat for around 3 hours. Came out just about perfect! Nothing fancy just salt and peper and we caught the juices in a pan with some onions and cherry tomatoes.

Last edited:

Naughty Ian

Gunston Green
Reaction score
Jurie, that looks lekker man. Ask you butcher for a Picanha steak (also called a rump cap) next time and do the same thing, just salt the fat and cook it the same way, fat side down. You will thank me later:thumbs up:

BULL

The Blue Puta
Reaction score
That is a roast DT. Fine for a roast but overdone for rump.

BULL

The Blue Puta
Reaction score
Jurie, that looks lekker man. Ask you butcher for a Picanha steak (also called a rump cap) next time and do the same thing, just salt the fat and cook it the same way, fat side down. You will thank me later:thumbs up:
The Picanha steak and method hails from Argentina. Proper!:thumbs up:

DT_Mania

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That is a roast DT. Fine for a roast but overdone for rump.
That is a full rump. Very difficult to please 20 people on "doneness". I think it came out great.

DangerDave

NotSoDangerous, Dave!
Reaction score
Something I can certainly recommend for good chow is an airfryer!
As a lazy guy living alone it makes life easy, roast potatoes, really good chips, roast veg, have had good success with pork chops, suasages, chicken breasts(the best way to cook them) and the best part is it is so easy and hassle free...

NUMSCH

Former Duchess of Fourways
Reaction score
As a lazy guy living alone it makes life easy, roast potatoes, really good chips, roast veg, have had good success with pork chops, suasages, chicken breasts(the best way to cook them) and the best part is it is so easy and hassle free...
@BushWacker will agree with you! We receive regular pics of what he is air frying for dinner.

DT_Mania

Super Moderator
Reaction score
They are expensive though - well the ones that look like quality units.

adamktm

Forum Member
Reaction score
We have the Philips one!! Its awesome!!

BULL

The Blue Puta
Reaction score
That is a full rump. Very difficult to please 20 people on "doneness". I think it came out great.
Normally this would not be a question I'd ask, but after yesterday I feel compelled to. 20 people? Wie het geeet en wie het gekyk?

StuartC

Forum Member
Reaction score
In these twilight years of my life I have found that anything makes for a good supper, the less effort the better, the kid's have left home and we get to decide what's easiest to make and at what time we eat,,, cheese on toast with HP sauce or bangers and mash at 11pm makes for a fucking great meal.

DT_Mania

Super Moderator
Reaction score
As I said, my question was in light of what Vaatjie asked me about the amount of meat I braai.
For your family, at home, for Sunday lunch......far cry from a lunch at work. But, be that as it may, there where lots of other side dishes, including other meat. Plus I picked a number, my PA says we where 14 people at full count.

Last edited:

BULL

The Blue Puta
Reaction score
For your family, at home, for Sunday lunch......far cry from a lunch at work. But, be that as it may, there where lots of other side dishes, including other meat. Plus I picked a number, my PA says we where 14 people at full count.

Even after this poor PR stunt to re gather your reputation, you made more assumptions on my Sunday night braai than I did on your swingers party at the salt mine. But lets leave it at that!:thumbs up:

DT_Mania

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Even after this poor PR stunt to re gather your reputation, you made more assumptions on my Sunday night braai than I did on your swingers party at the salt mine. But lets leave it at that!:thumbs up:
It is history, I cannot do much about anything, but call it what you want, you one chop wonder. :thumbs up: