The long and the short of it

Rooster

Astrids Bizatch
Reaction score
I've started riding the Freeride more lately - its an awesome machine. Its most attractive feature? I can almost always get a foot down no matter how gnarly the terrain gets!

I know that purists say that it shouldn't matter how tall your bike is if you are a good enough rider - but how many of us are really good enough when the going gets mega gnarly?

So assuming that you do want a lower bike, what are the feasible options for those of lesser stature than the Big Mike's of this world?

Other than shaving the seat, most things seem to be a compromise - what have you tried? :33:

NUMSCH

Former Duchess of Fourways
Reaction score
Have you tried a teaspoon of PPC before riding?

Stomps

Forum Member
Reaction score
Bru,some of us will never be as good as so and so rider and will always find ourselves in a spot where we need to put a foot down.
Does your bike have links?Lowering kits are out there.I also know that for Ktm's PDS there are bushings with offset holes that lower the bike.How these affect the suspention,I don't know.
Look at it this way,perhaps a compromise becomes acceptable when it means that you will enjoy the sport more.

red_eye_righley

The Standard Thing
Reaction score
I've started riding the Freeride more lately - its an awesome machine. Its most attractive feature? I can almost always get a foot down no matter how gnarly the terrain gets!

I know that purists say that it shouldn't matter how tall your bike is if you are a good enough rider - but how many of us are really good enough when the going gets mega gnarly?

So assuming that you do want a lower bike, what are the feasible options for those of lesser stature than the Big Mike's of this world?

Other than shaving the seat, most things seem to be a compromise - what have you tried? :33:
I think you answered your own question.....90% of okes (if under 85 kg's) would probably prefer a freeride in the gnarly stuff, they just can't get to admit it as the handbag jokes would never stop. The lowering links work, but do compromise suspension somewhat and supposedly the shock needs a revalve and maybe a re-spring (the mechanical advantage/fulcrum ratio has changed after all)

Chukudeer

Forum Member
Reaction score
Have you taken a spin on the Beta or GasGas bikes, they are lower than the KTM,s etc. :thumbs up:

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
I also prefer being able to put my feet flat. I had the seat on the kdx shaved a bit, haven't tested it yet though.

BigMike

Medium Mike
Reaction score
Rooster

my mate lloyd rode the roof on a KTM 250 2T. he is just taller than a 440 CL bottle. he has shaved the seat, put in the X-Bush and dropped his front suspension. yet he spends a LOT of time picking up his bike due to short legs.

he owned a freeride and enjoyed in it the rocks but hated it when you need to get on the gas as he found the suspension really shitty. that being said, had he persevered and had the suspension sorted by a pro he would have probably enjoyed it more.

unfortunately there isnt really an in between bike size like a CRF230 that has great suspension and doesnt weigh the same as an panzer tank.

then again mark250gp rides a standard size bike with no height mods. he doesnt drop his bike much, ever. and when he does you will hear about it for months.

Mark800XC

Old and Slow
Staff member
Reaction score
My advice, from a been there done that perspective.

TTFU.

Making any changes whatsoever to the suspension is expensive and will upset the bikes balance and you better make sure the changes are reversible or you'll sit with a difficult to sell dog handling POS.

Shaving the seat is an option but you end up with a seat so uncomfortable you can't sit on it. You might think you stand a lot, you probably dont really and will only notice that when you can't sit anymore.

Get used to the bike the way it is, its not that difficult. Alfie Cox is about the same size as a 440ml bottle as well, it doesn't stop him. Once you get a bit better and quicker and dont need to take your feet off the pegs as much you wont need the bike lower.

red_eye_righley

The Standard Thing
Reaction score
@Rooster

my mate lloyd rode the roof on a KTM 250 2T. he is just taller than a 440 CL bottle. he has shaved the seat, put in the X-Bush and dropped his front suspension. yet he spends a LOT of time picking up his bike due to short legs.

he owned a freeride and enjoyed in it the rocks but hated it when you need to get on the gas as he found the suspension really shitty. that being said, had he persevered and had the suspension sorted by a pro he would have probably enjoyed it more.

unfortunately there isnt really an in between bike size like a CRF230 that has great suspension and doesnt weigh the same as an panzer tank.

then again mark250gp rides a standard size bike with no height mods. he doesnt drop his bike much, ever. and when he does you will hear about it for months.
Valid points Sir BigMac,

However, do you order a 440 cent litre coke at MacDonalds? If you stop that you may need to respring for a lighter rider. Eish, I want a freeride (I can take verbal abuse because I'm used to it from years of owning Suzuki's) but I'm dang scared of getting miffed with the suspenders. I have ridden one and did want a bit more at times (and I rode it slowly).

BigMike

Medium Mike
Reaction score
440 CASTLE LITE CHOP !!!! :icon_lol:

yeah i believe the front end is very unstable at speed. i also believe that Mr Hayward has done mods to sort it out.

he gave up on the freeride because of image. very silly in my opinion as he rode it well and it was the right size for him

red_eye_righley

The Standard Thing
Reaction score
440 CASTLE LITE CHOP !!!! :icon_lol:

yeah i believe the front end is very unstable at speed. i also believe that Mr Hayward has done mods to sort it out.

he gave up on the freeride because of image. very silly in my opinion as he rode it well and it was the right size for him
:icon_lol: I see, I generally use the metric system, but I accept the proposition of a beer system. Today whatever I design is forked and the poor draftsman is buggered if he's a tea-totaller.

Aah, maybe I must talk to uncle Hilton. Truth be told it's quite a lekker scoot for the rocks and does quite well here on the KZN cattle trails - but fork ugly. I have an old KTM200 at the moment - coming off an XR and a KDX, how much worse can my image get...?....

BigMike

Medium Mike
Reaction score
that freeride is bloody brilliant in the rocks.

just dont ding the radiator. naughtyian was telling me they cost a bloody arm and a leg.

red_eye_righley

The Standard Thing
Reaction score
What's wrong with the radiator? The mountings crack? We made one cunning maneuver on my riding buddies one to reduce vibration - still testing/holding thumbs. There's plenty to sort out on the bike, but not difficult (air filters, radiator, carb vents, starter motor/battery issues) but it is a great little machine. This oke I'm talking about can 180 degree pivot turn the thing on a gnarly downhill while most of us are struggling for traction to just turn. Anyways, I think when a cheapie comes along I will pull out my pink slips and get it as a playbike/trailbike, unless I get a new 200 first.

Rooster

Astrids Bizatch
Reaction score
Well that was constructive - do you all have shares in PPC?? :icon_lol:

It was more a general question as opposed to just for me, as you say we have a Freeride so whats the issue.
Not everyone has this privilege of a Freeride, and it is easy to "give up" on tech because it just gets too hard when you are short.
However after having ridden a mates cone a bit, I can see myself wanting a KTM 300 in the not so distant future (Shock, Horror!!!)

It just feels tall!! He has harder springs in though, may be the issue...

Awakener

Ahhhhhhh NOT STOP
Reaction score
I have the opposite issue iro height but cant still offer you some advise...ride like me. fall off often and spend more time dragging your ass and the bike around then actually riding it, that way when you do mange to stay on the bike for more the 3min you will be grateful that you cant touch the ground anymore. :banghead:

Tman21

Happily Married
Reaction score
If you can somehow manage to sell all you bikes buy a free ride and get it over with! You have been raving about it since day one!

Astrid

Roosters Bizatch
Reaction score
If you can somehow manage to sell all you bikes buy a free ride and get it over with! You have been raving about it since day one!
Lol, we already have one Tman21. The Freeride is low enough. I think what Rooster meant was that he hasn't realized before what a difference it makes to be able to get a foot down in almost any situation. He's been riding taller bikes and coped fine, but since he's been riding the Freeride he's even more comfortable on serious tech.

As he said, it was more a general question leading from his experience on the Freeride.

Road2Dirt

Forum Member
Reaction score
According to the advertising, it sounds like the Beta Xtrain 300 is supposed to fill the gap between a full size bike and the Freeride with a seat height of 910

louisvantonder

I r the winner!
Reaction score
That's why I went for a Gas Gas. It really is a bit lower, and my capabilities have gone up big time!