TM RACING 300 2T - Highveld Jetting

Rooster

Astrids Bizatch
Reaction score
Hi All,
Not a lot of these motors around, and I know bulletproof is at the coast - but does anyone have any highveld jetting advice? I'm running #170 #40 NOZE 3rd clip.

Motor runs like a steam train dont get me wrong.. wondering if a #38 (if you can find a #38) or 1 clip higher wont get even more lug :icon_question: or is it too lean... Plug is walnut brown btw, so no issues.

Chukudeer

Forum Member
Reaction score
Rooster do yourself a huge favor, get that BRM on Gumtree as fast as you can. It will immediately sort your carb issue :thumbs up:

Rooster

Astrids Bizatch
Reaction score
Faaaaaark that. I love my Brm. Would sell the Husky! There's no issue, I'm just wondering what the other 5 TM motors in Gauteng run

bulletproof

Closet KTM Fan
Reaction score
You called m'lud?

170 main is good.
35 pilot is what I would use.
It is not going to make any difference to the top end.
Float level is importanter!!!
You must have 52ml in the bowl.

PS Rooster what fuel mix do you run?

Last edited:

DangerDave

NotSoDangerous, Dave!
Reaction score
That is irrelephant.

Which is hugely irrelevant.
cos then the only solution is a KTM 300 2t engine with red spring and full fmf exhaust system and some smart carb, or maybe BigBore's old Maico700 2t that was for sale a few months back.

but either way make sure there is a tape measure included in the deal...

Rooster

Astrids Bizatch
Reaction score
You called m'lud?

170 main is good.
35 pilot is what I would use.
It is not going to make any difference to the top end.
Float level is importanter!!!
You must have 52ml in the bowl.

PS @Rooster what fuel mix do you run?
Tx bulletproof, you have confirmed my "gut feel"... Spot on on the main, a tad rich on the idle. I run 50:1 on Amsoil, it really seems to like this combo. Before that I ran 30:1 on Castor 927. I maaaaayyyy try 30:1 now again to offset the leaner bottom end, we shall see. What do you recommend?

I do not need any more top end, so I am not bothered about that :icon_eek:

I have never messed with the float level since new, never seen the need tbh, will measure it when I change the idle jet.

Crash Test Dummy

Forum Member
Reaction score
cos then the only solution is a KTM 300 2t engine with red spring and full fmf exhaust system and some smart carb, or maybe BigBore's old Maico700 2t that was for sale a few months back.

but either way make sure there is a tape measure included in the deal...
You forgot to mention Mitas tyres with the triple green stripe, power without control is useless.

Rooster

Astrids Bizatch
Reaction score
how much power can you actually handle...
DangerDave, I can tell from the above you have piloted a TM300? What I love about this motor is that power delivery when its set up right. It is sublime.

On Map switch 2 it will lug over virtually anything, and has a "Sweet Spot" when you barely crack open the throttle at low RPM's. This "Sweet Spot" delivers a mountain of torque and that is what I am looking at getting the most out of. :thumbs up: This setting has plenty top end for me also, so I use it most of the time.

On Map switch 1 the bottom end is still strong, but the over rev reminds you of a 250 on the Pipe. Manic!!!!!! This I only ever use for shits and giggles, it just waayyy Too Much for me :icon_lol:

Rooster

Astrids Bizatch
Reaction score
Retract that statement, Im going for the big bore EFI Maico with the Mitas. And perhaps a 15 / 42 sprocket combo!

bulletproof

Closet KTM Fan
Reaction score
Tx @bulletproof, you have confirmed my "gut feel"... Spot on on the main, a tad rich on the idle. I run 50:1 on Amsoil, it really seems to like this combo. Before that I ran 30:1 on Castor 927. I maaaaayyyy try 30:1 now again to offset the leaner bottom end, we shall see. What do you recommend?

I do not need any more top end, so I am not bothered about that :icon_eek:

I have never messed with the float level since new, never seen the need tbh, will measure it when I change the idle jet.
I run these bikes at 32:1.
If you run a 32:1 mix you should get an improvement pulling off the bottom.
BUT you might have to lift the needle 1 clip to offset at the top end.
BUT before you do all this check the float level! It will make a huge difference to the bottom if it is too high.