Varsity Cup et al

Bargain_Hunter

I give Quaddies a bad name
Reaction score
Had a peep at the final, last night.
Well done to UP-TUKS. Close game.

So, why would there be different rules, between various series' of rubgy?

Mostly, schools rugga rules are finely / closely aligned to IRB Rules.
Enter VC Rules and that golden thread between school and club / provincial becomes frayed.

Any, meaningful, input would be highly appreciated.

White Card? WTF.
5 or 7 point try? WTF.
Strategy Break? That is cool, maybe intro to highschool rugga.

What other quirks did I miss?

DangerDave

NotSoDangerous, Dave!
Reaction score
the 7 and 5 point try rules I think are great, run a try in from your own half and you get an extra 2 points for the effort, makes the guys start thinking about attacking from deep instead of just kicking everything.

I think they are using it as a testing ground, to see if the rules have the desired effect for tv based rugby, seeing as school boy rugby is not as well televised.

Bargain_Hunter

Reaction score
the 7 and 5 point try rules I think are great, run a try in from your own half and you get an extra 2 points for the effort, makes the guys start thinking about attacking from deep instead of just kicking everything.

I think they are using it as a testing ground, to see if the rules have the desired effect for tv based rugby, seeing as school boy rugby is not as well televised.
Makes sense

BULL, where is your infinite anecdotal expertise?????

BULL

The Blue Puta
Reaction score
Had a peep at the final, last night.
Well done to UP-TUKS. Close game.

So, why would there be different rules, between various series' of rubgy?

Mostly, schools rugga rules are finely / closely aligned to IRB Rules.
Enter VC Rules and that golden thread between school and club / provincial becomes frayed.

Any, meaningful, input would be highly appreciated.

White Card? WTF.
5 or 7 point try? WTF.
Strategy Break? That is cool, maybe intro to highschool rugga.

What other quirks did I miss?
I don't like this fiddling with the rules at all. In fact I'd prefer a penalty to be worth 4 points. My reasoning? With a converted try worth 7 points and in this case potentially 9 the defending team has a valid reason to play negatively to rather give away 3 points that either 7 or 9.

In the old days we used to have the Easter club champs in Durban every year. They also tried to get clever by reducing the value of a drop kick and penalty to two points with a view to seeing more attacking rugby. It failed dismally due to teams playing extremely negatively.

swazi_matt

Forum Member
Reaction score
I don't like this fiddling with the rules at all. In fact I'd prefer a penalty to be worth 4 points. My reasoning? With a converted try worth 7 points and in this case potentially 9 the defending team has a valid reason to play negatively to rather give away 3 points that either 7 or 9.

In the old days we used to have the Easter club champs in Durban every year. They also tried to get clever by reducing the value of a drop kick and penalty to two points with a view to seeing more attacking rugby. It failed dismally due to teams playing extremely negatively.
good point.

If they want to see more flowing / running rugby they should invest money into rugby league.

DangerDave

NotSoDangerous, Dave!
Reaction score
Ya but if you make penalties worth more points, teams will just make sure they have a good kicker, move into kicking range(60% of the field for certain current teams) and then just hold onto the ball untill the opposition gives away a penalty which is even more boring.

My 2c atleast they are trying something...

as Swazi says League is an option, or even aussie rules, the fights are pretty decent at aussie rules as well..

BULL

The Blue Puta
Reaction score
Ya but if you make penalties worth more points, teams will just make sure they have a good kicker, move into kicking range(60% of the field for certain current teams) and then just hold onto the ball untill the opposition gives away a penalty which is even more boring.

My 2c atleast they are trying something...

as Swazi says League is an option, or even aussie rules, the fights are pretty decent at aussie rules as well..
Its all about balance. there were plenty of try's scored in the 70's, 80's and 90's. What they need to do is simplify the laws. The loose forwards have way too much freedom of movement. The loose forwards should be forced to bind until the ball has left the scrumhalves hands. This way we will revert to heavy forwards who have to scrum longer and harder and as a result they will not be so mobile. As a direct result you will have less forwards who are just as fast as the backs defending in the backline. It will be 7 backs one on one vs seven backs and it will/used to be more exciting to watch. Because of all the extra space we can start fielding backs that don't have to weigh 95kg +.

Collapsing scrums? Easy solution. Blow to the letter of the law viz, the scrumhalf must feed the ball directly into the middle of the scrum with NO spin. As a result the hooker will have to actually his the foot to hook. He cannot do it if the props scrum to low, they will have to go 90deg max. Result? Less collapsed scrums, and the heel against the head will make a welcome return to the game. They once had it right, they fukced it up.

Bargain_Hunter

Reaction score
Its all about balance. there were plenty of try's scored in the 70's, 80's and 90's. What they need to do is simplify the laws. The loose forwards have way too much freedom of movement. The loose forwards should be forced to bind until the ball has left the scrumhalves hands. This way we will revert to heavy forwards who have to scrum longer and harder and as a result they will not be so mobile. As a direct result you will have less forwards who are just as fast as the backs defending in the backline. It will be 7 backs one on one vs seven backs and it will/used to be more exciting to watch. Because of all the extra space we can start fielding backs that don't have to weigh 95kg +.

Collapsing scrums? Easy solution. Blow to the letter of the law viz, the scrumhalf must feed the ball directly into the middle of the scrum with NO spin. As a result the hooker will have to actually his the foot to hook. He cannot do it if the props scrum to low, they will have to go 90deg max. Result? Less collapsed scrums, and the heel against the head will make a welcome return to the game. They once had it right, they fukced it up.
Ja, I was wondering why #2 was in the scrum when 8th Man scoops ball straight from the Ball Thrower in Man.

There was a series, years ago. A few of my mates played in a league / team, Rhino's or something like that. Toured extensively, but series faded out. Anyone remember Rhino's?

Naughty Ian

Gunston Green
Reaction score

And there you have it in a nutshell from a bloke that was in the same class at school with Danie Craven :icon_eek:

red_eye_righley

The Standard Thing
Reaction score
Can we change the topic to Varsity cup 'n all for those of us in KZN - although we burnt down some of the varsity (n all).