*WANTED* - Bicycle

DT_Mania

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Let me be the one to rid you of your shame and disappointment standing or hanging in the garage covered in dust and never getting used, staring you in the face every time you walk past.

Budget: R3000 - R5000
What: Any type of bicycle, not too phased about discipline
Condition: No worries about tyres, grips, brake pads/shoes - as long as the mechanicals are in good nick
Preference: I know I can't be too choosy at my price point, but looking for a small/medium frame (48cm-54cm) with as little as possible gear options.

Let me know, thanks.

DangerDave

NotSoDangerous, Dave!
Reaction score
@DT_Mania go have a look on bikehub.co.za, you will find some options, they listed R500 million in 2nd hand bikes and goods last year...

DT_Mania

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Decathlon have some ok looking bicycles in that price range.
Problem with Decathlon is they have nothing in stock that is on their website.

Here are two examples, but you are welcome to search through all their bicycles:

Screenshot 2020-09-23 at 08.14.01.png
Screenshot 2020-09-23 at 08.14.36.png
Screenshot 2020-09-23 at 08.14.48.png

DangerDave

NotSoDangerous, Dave!
Reaction score
Surely you can buy a decent new MTB for 5k?
You can a mountain bike, but you get what you pay for and it is not worth it.
Mechanical disc brakes vs hydraulic
Air fork vs Spring fork
bearing types and quality etc

Getting a second hand bike is a much better option in that price range.

Basically buy a 5 year old KTM or a brand new zongshen...

The other option is to do a frankenbuild with 2nd hand parts, we put together a sub 10kg hardtail for the mrs for under R7k,

shark_za

Forum Member
Reaction score
Right now there is still a shortage of bikes, shops cant get new stock and second hand ones are going for premiums.
Buy a bike with a tapered steerer and upgrade it later.

DangerDave

NotSoDangerous, Dave!
Reaction score

That On-One is a very interesting bike, could be a lot of fun on Delta park lines. I am on the hub a lot looking for road bike for the smart trainer.

BULL

The Blue Puta
Reaction score
How about a village bicycle?

DT_Mania

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I got instruction that 29er size wheels are "too big" - whatever that means. So never mind this request, will just keep an eye on the classifieds.

Thanks (y)

LupiniPower

Forum Member
Reaction score
I got instruction that 29er size wheels are "too big" - whatever that means. So never mind this request, will just keep an eye on the classifieds.

Thanks (y)
Too big for what?
The only benefit you get from smaller wheels is slightly better handling and agility, but then you compromise on stability. Bigger wheels also carry more momentum.

If you're going to be riding mostly cross country then 29er is the only way. Unless you are 5 foot tall and go with a small frame.....

27.5inch is a good compromise if you ride downhill and trail/enduro.

Attachments

DT_Mania

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I only take "instruction" from one 5 foot nothing lady, so I don't really care what they are too big for and I am not going to ask.

(y)

This is for riding around the block and on camping trips.

LupiniPower

Forum Member
Reaction score
I only take "instruction" from one 5 foot nothing lady, so I don't really care what they are too big for and I am not going to ask.

(y)

This is for riding around the block and on camping trips.
Then buy that 26er, nothing wrong for the intended purpose. (y)

DangerDave

NotSoDangerous, Dave!
Reaction score
You can get really higher spec older 26 inch bikes for good prices, it is just getting harder to get parts for them.
29ers do look weird on small frames but the reality is they are solid, lots available, tyres etc are easier to come by and really there is not much of a handling disadvantage unless you have cyclist arms...