What kind of protective gear do you wear?

LoopSoosStroop

Forum Member
Reaction score
Bottom half is pretty standard, boots, knee guards or knee braces, pants.

What upper body protective gear do you wear, and what kind of riding do you do?

I used to wear one of those Thor black stretchy suits, with pads everywhere, as that is what seemed logical and was what I had. I felt pretty cozy in it, and protected, but as soon as it heated up or we hit the slow stuff I boiled. Current trend seems to be towards the looser fitting plastic chest and back protectors, with either separate elbow guards or not other guards?

LupiniPower

Forum Member
Reaction score
Plastic Roost guard/chest protector with separate elbow guards... those ballistic jersey full Armour things are Satans spawn in Summer!

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
Bottom half is pretty standard, boots, knee guards or knee braces, pants.

What upper body protective gear do you wear, and what kind of riding do you do?

I used to wear one of those Thor black stretchy suits, with pads everywhere, as that is what seemed logical and was what I had. I felt pretty cozy in it, and protected, but as soon as it heated up or we hit the slow stuff I boiled. Current trend seems to be towards the looser fitting plastic chest and back protectors, with either separate elbow guards or not other guards?
Also depends on the type of riding I do. Bottom also stays pretty much as you have above. Boots, knee braces, mx pants. Offroad races I wear a leatt soft shell jacket with neck brace. On the slower enduro stuff I would normally bin the jacket and go for a stright forward roost guard. But this also depends, Ive gotten so hot before that I swear I would rather just ride in my jocks:icon_lol:

George250

Forum Member
Reaction score
Upper body I only use helmet and neck brace, I ride mostly tech

DenDirtbiker

I fall off a lot
Reaction score
Many moons ago we used to ride in an old quarry between Midrand and Chloorkop. I came around the corner and found an oke lying next to his 200cc Blaster with his leg clearly broken with the bones nearly piercing through his skin. But at least he had his RayBan sunglasses on for protection.

Pom17

I like trying to get my 4T to lift the front. Soon
Reaction score
Boots
Helmet
Gloves
Knee guards

Ride tech stuff and found the braces and all the other gear just got too much. Especially the braces. Restricted movement and reaction time badly and wore me down

J37

Forum Member
Reaction score
Leatt 3DF 5.0 - elbow guards
Fox Racing Titan Race Subframe - chest protector
* Ride mostly tech.

I used to use the Leatt Fusion 3.0 (chest protector / neck brace combo), nice to use in winter, but not so nice in summer.

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
Boots
Helmet
Gloves
Knee guards

Ride tech stuff and found the braces and all the other gear just got too much. Especially the braces. Restricted movement and reaction time badly and wore me down
Knee braces? I dont find they get in the way at all? They are not comfortable that I will agree with. But Im sure some the new top end ones are way better. Stuffed knees is something I really dont want, and the chances of straining one on a bike is easy

I have a pair of these:

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
Leatt 3DF 5.0 - elbow guards
Fox Racing Titan Race Subframe - chest protector
* Ride mostly tech.

I used to use the Leatt Fusion 3.0 (chest protector / neck brace combo), nice to use in winter, but not so nice in summer.
Why elbow guards, but no neck brace, knee braces etc? Just trying to understand how one decides "this should be protected, but that part?? Nah!!":icon_lol:

J37

Forum Member
Reaction score
Why elbow guards, but no neck brace, knee braces etc? Just trying to understand how one decides "this should be protected, but that part?? Nah!!":icon_lol:
Never really enjoyed falling on my elbows, especially onto rocks :icon_redface:

Neck brace is controversial, I did some reading and see it helps more in high speed accidents, rather than slow speed accidents. And as I mainly ride 1st/2nd gear stuff, I don't really see it that viable. But again, its a controversial topic...

OP asked "What upper body protective gear do you wear, and what kind of riding do you do?"
Are your knees connected to your upper body? :33:

Tombstone

The Old Ballie
Reaction score
I started kitting up in what I could afford: hiking boots, overalls with cut-off sleeves, road bike helmet, gloves.
I advanced to kitting up for the looks.
Promoted myself to kitting up for the fall.
Have settled with kitting up for comfort: Boots, knee braces, kidney belt, gloves, helmet, welding glasses.

Tombstone

The Old Ballie
Reaction score
I started kitting up in what I could afford: hiking boots, overalls with cut-off sleeves, road bike helmet, gloves.
Have settled with kitting up for comfort: Boots, knee braces, kidney belt, gloves, helmet, welding glasses.
Then

Now

Dean_E232

ClutchPump
Reaction score
why welding glasses , you thinking about arc welding one of the locals on your ride ?

Tombstone

The Old Ballie
Reaction score
why welding glasses , you thinking about arc welding one of the locals on your ride ?
I hate goggles. I find my field of vision restricted and they feel claustrophobic. If I had my way, I wouldn't wear anything but I've seen too many horror stories and had a couple of close calls myself with thorns at De Wildt. Welding glasses are perfect for me.

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
Never really enjoyed falling on my elbows, especially onto rocks :icon_redface:

Neck brace is controversial, I did some reading and see it helps more in high speed accidents, rather than slow speed accidents. And as I mainly ride 1st/2nd gear stuff, I don't really see it that viable. But again, its a controversial topic...

OP asked "What upper body protective gear do you wear, and what kind of riding do you do?"
Are your knees connected to your upper body? :33:
:icon_lol: I missed that bit! :icon_lol:

I figure its always going to be luck of the draw, the day you fall, what kit did one decide to put on and if you wore everything, how do you fall. Ive heard various versions. Its either "thank goodness I was wearing my neck brace" or "I fell my moer off with nothing and Im ok" or " I snapped a knee because..." Suppose there is no right or wrong. Wear what you can afford or what you are comfortable in. Like thebob said a few times. Something along the lines of no point in wearing all the kit to the point you overheat and cannot focus, so you fall more

- - - Updated - - -

I hate goggles. I find my field of vision restricted and they feel claustrophobic. If I had my way, I wouldn't wear anything but I've seen too many horror stories and had a couple of close calls myself with thorns at De Wildt. Welding glasses are perfect for me.

How do they hold up in heavy dust though?

DenDirtbiker

I fall off a lot
Reaction score
I just push them a bit closer onto my face and no problem. Can ride 5th or 6th in the group on a dry winter's day at Maraisburg with no issues.
Also been riding with safety glasses for years. Not much more dust than with goggles.

Pom17

I like trying to get my 4T to lift the front. Soon
Reaction score
Also been riding with safety glasses for years. Not much more dust than with goggles.

Interesting

Hate goggles, always stop to turn them around when the going gets tough.
I seem to overheat way more than you would expect with them on.