Who's staying, who's leaving + who's left?

DangerDave

NotSoDangerous, Dave!
Reaction score
Issue is the birth rate in SA is also wildly out of control. Birth rate vs economy growth, it is simple math. If you make 10 more people but the economy makes 10 fewer jobs, ke fuckup.

swazi_matt

Forum Member
Reaction score
the large population also makes a large market, the reason why some people make huge money out of the silliest things

Part of NZ drive for immigration is to increase the population (aka home market) to the 7M mark, where they will become more self reliant. They are really feeling the pinch now with the corona virus, they ship all their raw timber to china and now they cant

LupiniPower

Forum Member
Reaction score
the large population also makes a large market, the reason why some people make huge money out of the silliest things

Part of NZ drive for immigration is to increase the population (aka home market) to the 7M mark, where they will become more self reliant. They are really feeling the pinch now with the corona virus, they ship all their raw timber to china and now they cant
100%, if you can offer a product or service that the masses take to in numbers, you can hit the jackpot here in SA.

I know a few guys that own well known franchise take away outlets (pizza/burgers etc..) and they are sitting very pretty. Just one example...

GreenMonster

Forum Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with what all the expats are saying.

It is an extremely personal decision. Our reason was to provide the kids equal opportunities. My son has ADHD and he didnt have a bright pathway in the then SA.
We came across in 2008 and have never looked back. We miss our families dearly and have been back every 2 years for holidays.
I miss a "Bosveld Vuur", the smell of a thunderstorm @ 4pm
He is an apprentice mechanic and all his TAFE ( Technikon equivalent ) courses are free.

Be assured it is not all moonshine and roses. it takes about 5 years to properly get back on your feet.

We were the poor folk when we arrived. One salary buying cars, white goods etc. It was a struggle but hey we got through it.

Some insights :
Make up your mind 100% - have the right reasons
Get a job before you get abroad.
Be prepared to a few steps backward - unless you come over with $10 million in your pocket.
Enjoy the ride - you only live once !!!!!!

Pom17

I like trying to get my 4T to lift the front. Soon
Reaction score
I have to agree with what all the expats are saying.

It is an extremely personal decision. Our reason was to provide the kids equal opportunities. My son has ADHD and he didnt have a bright pathway in the then SA.
We came across in 2008 and have never looked back. We miss our families dearly and have been back every 2 years for holidays.
I miss a "Bosveld Vuur", the smell of a thunderstorm @ 4pm
He is an apprentice mechanic and all his TAFE ( Technikon equivalent ) courses are free.

Be assured it is not all moonshine and roses. it takes about 5 years to properly get back on your feet.

We were the poor folk when we arrived. One salary buying cars, white goods etc. It was a struggle but hey we got through it.

Some insights :
Make up your mind 100% - have the right reasons
Get a job before you get abroad.
Be prepared to a few steps backward - unless you come over with $10 million in your pocket.
Enjoy the ride - you only live once !!!!!!
Awesome feedback thanks.
For some insight, what are you doing now and does your spouse work now?

GreenMonster

Forum Member
Reaction score
Hey Pom17,

I work for a company that manufactures cordless power tools ( Ryobi, AEG, Milwaukee etc ) and my wife is in clinical research now.
She started right at the bottom and worked her way up.

whatever the people say about average salaries etc is a bunch of crap.
trying to live a comparable lifestyle on anything under $150K per annum is crap but it takes time to get there.

Mark800XC

Old and Slow
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Pom17,

I work for a company that manufactures cordless power tools ( Ryobi, AEG, Milwaukee etc ) and my wife is in clinical research now.
She started right at the bottom and worked her way up.

whatever the people say about average salaries etc is a bunch of crap.
trying to live a comparable lifestyle on anything under $150K per annum is crap but it takes time to get there.
150K combined household income?

GreenMonster

Forum Member
Reaction score
150K combined household income?
Yes. you should have that minimum number in mind to live a comfortable lifestyle. anything over that is cool. double that then it gets easier.
however it does get relative.
an average house in an average suburb is close on $1 million. insane.
my bakkie cost $63K.
all relative

Mark800XC

Old and Slow
Staff member
Reaction score
I see to get a 189 visa now you have to earn above 50K PA and live in the sticks, or anywhere in WA, for a year before you can apply for PR.

How many kids do you have?

GreenMonster

Forum Member
Reaction score
Living in the sticks is not a bad thing. I wish we could. We have a rural property close to the sea and would move there Inna heartbeat however the jobs are in the big cities.
Have 2 kids. 16 and 21.

Prawn

Reaction score
I live 50 km north of Perth and built a 4x2 house for $450k... housing in WA is way cheaper here than NSW and VIC.
You definitely need to be prepared to take a few steps back in the quality of life in the beginning, but I have found that us Saffers seem to flourish and progress really quickly, as long as you dont suffer from tall poppy syndrome (thinking that you are superior to everyone).
Medical and schooling are also free and you superannuation is often an add on above your base income. There is also a HEX scheme available where the state sponsors university fees, and the students repay the costs pro rata as a tax when they earn over a certain amount.

Tman21

Happily Married
Reaction score
I live 50 km north of Perth and built a 4x2 house for $450k... housing in WA is way cheaper here than NSW and VIC.
You definitely need to be prepared to take a few steps back in the quality of life in the beginning, but I have found that us Saffers seem to flourish and progress really quickly, as long as you dont suffer from tall poppy syndrome (thinking that you are superior to everyone).
Medical and schooling are also free and you superannuation is often an add on above your base income. There is also a HEX scheme available where the state sponsors university fees, and the students repay the costs pro rata as a tax when they earn over a certain amount.
Wouldve thought at that price you at least get a diff-lock as well . .. .

Where in WA and do you still have toilet paper?

GreenMonster

Forum Member
Reaction score

Did the $450 include land ? If it did then is cool. You have to travel 100km out of Melbourne to get that.

pat218

Forum Member
Reaction score
I am quite lucky to have a British, Irish and SA passports. All of my family have moved to the uk/aus. Ill stick to SA for the meantime, if the NHI starts then thats the last straw for me.

Tman21

Happily Married
Reaction score
I am quite lucky to have a British, Irish and SA passports. All of my family have moved to the uk/aus. Ill stick to SA for the meantime, if the NHI starts then thats the last straw for me.
Not sure on time frame but its coming and the PVT sector is investing big time!

StefanKTM

Forum Member
Reaction score
What union do you represent? they have 48700 people I believe and need 15000 and with the average salary being over 500k per anum ,,,, get rid of them!
1 Million jobs gone in the last 2 years, average salary of R10k x 1 000 000 = R 10 000 000 000 (or 10 billion Rand) per month that has gone out of circulation, I don't know about you but to me that's quite a big number in the grand scheme of things...

Prawn

Reaction score
No diff lock or tp

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, Land included.