Who's staying, who's leaving + who's left?

swazi_matt

Forum Member
Reaction score
Till recently my biggest worry was starting over and working for a boss again.

But now have a 2 month old baby. Have no idea how people in 1st world countries raise kids without a permanent nanny.
That alone is enough to keep me here for a few more years.
they get a year paid maternity leave and then free daycare, but that being said I refused to leave until my kids were getting to the age where they wanted to spend less time with me, so working for a boss and having to meet 40hr weeks is not so bad

Pom17

I like trying to get my 4T to lift the front. Soon
Reaction score
What they do is not go riding 2-3 times a week😂😂😂😂😂
At the moment I am struggling to ride once a week and no more gym during the week.
Steadily growing the dad body, its depressing :cry:

Pom17

I like trying to get my 4T to lift the front. Soon
Reaction score
they get a year paid maternity leave and then free daycare, but that being said I refused to leave until my kids were getting to the age where they wanted to spend less time with me, so working for a boss and having to meet 40hr weeks is not so bad
How do companies manage a year's leave?
If we can go a year without someone in the office then we sure as hell dont need him.

adamktm

Forum Member
Reaction score
If we can go a year without someone in the office then we sure as hell dont need him.
In the UK it’s nine months, last 3 months you must take a salary cut. I also don’t think the 9 months is full pay. It drops after 6 months. Can’t really remember because my sister was on maternity 6 years ago.

swazi_matt

Forum Member
Reaction score
I think it is covered by the government and changes after 6 months (but then the baby care allowance kicks in). I am not too sure about it as i have no intention on finding out how it works - done with kids!!

DT_Mania

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Some info on "parental" leave regulations in New Zealand:

To me it looks like you can take up to 52 weeks (one year), but the second 26 weeks is unpaid, even from government, and the first 26 weeks work with a 10hour/week pay from employer after 3 weeks, gradually turning to government to cover $600 (give or take) per week.

Rage

Forum Member
Reaction score
Just had a chat to two friends(brothers) who were due to go just before lockdown, one an electrician, other a plumber. They have to wait now. The jobs they had secured have been scrapped. The government in Aus and NZ has made the companies they were going to remarket the jobs to locals. Due to covid..

They have sold there businesses this side and one of them his house. Interesting times.

swazi_matt

Forum Member
Reaction score
Just had a chat to two friends(brothers) who were due to go just before lockdown, one an electrician, other a plumber. They have to wait now. The jobs they had secured have been scrapped. The government in Aus and NZ has made the companies they were going to remarket the jobs to locals. Due to covid..

They have sold there businesses this side and one of them his house. Interesting times.
there are a lot of Kiwis that have returned from overseas, and the tourism industry is almost non existent (apparently - not seen any reduction in prices though!). They are letting in farm workers though because kiwis are too lazy to do that kind of work it seems but those type of jobs do not help with getting a permanent visa (i believe (need to add that so i do not get arrested for pretending to be a licensed immigration adviser!))

I think there are also some highly skilled positions that are open, engineering being one of them

What happened to @ozosborne ? Has he left? general post count on 101 has dropped significantly

DangerDave

NotSoDangerous, Dave!
Reaction score
I know of an engineer, happened work on the design of the aiming system on the rooivalk, he was working as a farm hand for nearly a year in NZ. Took him a while to get a job doing what he does best. I feel like that farm will never find a fitter, tougher and smarter farm hand.