Who's staying, who's leaving + who's left?

DenDirtbiker

I fall off a lot
Reaction score
Spot on @Warren I don't think people want to believe what is actually happening around them. Must be some kind of coping mechanism. That said, the situation globally is deteriorating at quite a rapid pace. Most of our population is already "content" with existing with next to nothing. I reckon the First World countries are going to be even more adversely affected by Covid than we will. Time will tell.

As stated earlier in this thread, I would have spent last week of May in Spain and the first week of June on the Isle of Man, then Covid came along........

Warren

Forum Member
Reaction score
Spot on @Warren I don't think people want to believe what is actually happening around them. Must be some kind of coping mechanism. That said, the situation globally is deteriorating at quite a rapid pace. Most of our population is already "content" with existing with next to nothing. I reckon the First World countries are going to be even more adversely affected by Covid than we will. Time will tell.

As stated earlier in this thread, I would have spent last week of May in Spain and the first week of June on the Isle of Man, then Covid came along........
Agreed @DenDirtbiker I was supposed to fly to Spain and Portugal at the end of March to finalise the property I am purchasing, everything came to a standstill. Only good thing to come out of Covid is that the seller has dropped his price by Eu350k in the interim so I am heading there as soon as I can get a Visa. Barcelona is in a mess with the Covid, our partners there say they went into a temporary lockdown again so you correct there with first world country problems, too many global travelers passing through.

On a positive note the seller told me that he only recently went back to the property after several months as he is retiring to the Algarve so he stayed in his new place during lockdown. When he arrived he realised he left the front door unlocked and his laptop was still where he left it gathering dust on his table and everything was where he left it including his car keys and car in garage lol. Can't wait bud

swazi_matt

Forum Member
Reaction score
Swazi I do agree with your post above to a point, my exception was your scepticism that people are BS about about how bad SA is. I got shot 7 times and left for dead, I still have 4 bullets in me as a reminder but the worst was the absolute hate displayed in the attack imprinted in my memory because of my skin colour. Believe me allot more people are affected than you imply and close to home as well.

By definition of your quote in Italic above SA are made to be foreigners in their country of birth and based solely on their skin colour they face the worst possible consequences without any protection from the government who often deny race based killing exist on farms or otherwise. History is been changed to suit their narrative and to justify their lack of action against the persecution.

I have been supporting and following the farm attacks and black on white killing and believe me what is in the news is a fraction of what actually goes down, for instance my attack was only in the local newspaper it did not deem newsworthy or of national interest and I am fine with that but the actual data is far worse than reported. The shit will get real when the white folk get gatvol and respond, it is happening already so people won't simply run like Zim but as a result those of us who are here have a decision to make like the original OP question.

I see your point and based on the size of SA there are most likely "refugees" that have moved from rural to urban for the same reasons a by-definition refugee would leave their country. (Playing devils advocate) It is always going to be a difficult one to argue though. Farmers are an easy target, they are far from police etc, tend (ore perceived) to have cash for salaries etc, and if race was a factor they also have a bad rap sheet to influence it. The perception is that they also appear to be well off and are employing people on minimum wage so there will be jealousy as the gap between the haves and have-nots is huge (this applies to developing countries in general)
In terms of the rest of the world white south africans have created this situation (a case of the children paying for the sins of their fathers) and not interested in getting involved, it will be difficult to convince them that they need refuge (there was a case in canada where I think it was initially granted and then later denied - just checked, guy was Brandon Huntly)

My point about the NZ Saffa wanting to bring their parent over as refugees was not really about the refugee part, it was more about them trying to take advantage of the system. If you are resident in NZ there are ways you can get family over via normal immigration routes, it will just cost you and then they will also need to work when they get here (i am being pretty judgmental, but having been here long enough i know there are jobs available and i know there are also ways of raising money if you need it)

swazi_matt

Forum Member
Reaction score
Just curious why you left Swaziland?
Many reasons I guess.
I had my own engineering consultancy and the corruption was getting to the point that I was going to have to start buying projects and I wasn’t prepared to do that ( I have children and it becomes difficult to tell them to do the right thing if you are not - or end up arrested). The final straw was when the gov engineer wanted me to mediate between him and the contractor be cause he wasn’t holding up his end of the deal and not paying his kickback! I realised then that corruption was becoming too normal. As a result of not buying jobs I wasn’t wining any of the bigger and more interesting jobs.
I was offered a job in NZ and it came while I was looking for a change
My wife was never really happy in SD and I also realised that my kids would have better opportunities in NZ so thought “why not”

As a result I have found it quite hard to adjust to NZ because I can’t say that all aspects of my life are better here as I hadn’t left somewhere that I thought was a risk to me or my family. (The riding also doesn’t compare!)

Dean_E232

ClutchPump
Reaction score
Many reasons I guess.
I had my own engineering consultancy and the corruption was getting to the point that I was going to have to start buying projects and I wasn’t prepared to do that ( I have children and it becomes difficult to tell them to do the right thing if you are not - or end up arrested). The final straw was when the gov engineer wanted me to mediate between him and the contractor be cause he wasn’t holding up his end of the deal and not paying his kickback! I realised then that corruption was becoming too normal. As a result of not buying jobs I wasn’t wining any of the bigger and more interesting jobs.
I was offered a job in NZ and it came while I was looking for a change
My wife was never really happy in SD and I also realised that my kids would have better opportunities in NZ so thought “why not”

As a result I have found it quite hard to adjust to NZ because I can’t say that all aspects of my life are better here as I hadn’t left somewhere that I thought was a risk to me or my family. (The riding also doesn’t compare!)
Family above the rest !!! - i do not have that so will die here as i have nothing to loose - if i must go down fighting so be it

swazi_matt

Forum Member
Reaction score
I thought there was amazing riding in NZ😁
there is if you know the farmers, and there is decent riding about 1,5hrs away - pretty extreme and muddy, but you will never get the freedom to just ride where you want like you can in SD (or the fact i could do that right from my doorstep, no loading and travelling). it is mostly trail rides where a 20km loop is marked out and not that technical in most instances. I have started trials riding and that is feeding the addiction nicely at the moment

Warren

Forum Member
Reaction score
there is if you know the farmers, and there is decent riding about 1,5hrs away - pretty extreme and muddy, but you will never get the freedom to just ride where you want like you can in SD (or the fact i could do that right from my doorstep, no loading and travelling). it is mostly trail rides where a 20km loop is marked out and not that technical in most instances. I have started trials riding and that is feeding the addiction nicely at the moment
@swazi_matt there is many Saffers in NZ, where about are you based over there? I guy that I met from the Wilddog forum (Rented his house when we moved to Somerset West) left for Auckland and he tied up with some Saffers and never looked back. He is more into dual sport at the moment but he is loving life over there. Maybe time for a NZ chapter of moto101? After all it is all about the network of riders to unlock the best riding.

swazi_matt

Forum Member
Reaction score
@swazi_matt there is many Saffers in NZ, where about are you based over there? I guy that I met from the Wilddog forum (Rented his house when we moved to Somerset West) left for Auckland and he tied up with some Saffers and never looked back. He is more into dual sport at the moment but he is loving life over there. Maybe time for a NZ chapter of moto101? After all it is all about the network of riders to unlock the best riding.
I'm in Hamilton, and you're right, I have met and seen more saffas here than i did in SD lol, i live within a block of 2 biltong shops

I think part of the issue is that i have been saving hard since i got here and have just signed on a house so it has paid off. I just need to change the mind to the long game and i will be fine - there are definitely worse places to be