XRAD Trailers

wynhand

Forum Member
Reaction score
I'm considering one of those foldup Xrad Pretzel 1, 2 or 3 trailers. Are they any good? Anyone have experience with these trailers?

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
The few that we have had here seem to be quite "rattly" in fact, that's why the guys bring them here. To weld up the foldable parts.

But I reckon if you are needing the fold up option, then yes.

UFUDO

Forum Member
Reaction score
I purchased a new 'Pretzel 3' in Feb 2011.
It suits me as I fold it up in my garage.

It is a bit "rattly," but serves it's purpose.

You are welcome to give me a call
08 28 09 10 58

shark_za

Forum Member
Reaction score
The rattle is a byproduct of the amazing folding function. Fold up against the wall in the garage; out of the way.
Really well made, don't confuse a rattle with bad workmanship. Properly galvanized for KZN conditions.

I have the added box for my Pretzel 2; works like a charm.

RNG477

Forum Member
Reaction score
Ive had a pretzel 1 since 2012 and have no problems with it, very light and tows easily, the owner of xrad is a good mate of mine who also rides

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
Wynhand- chat to Oz - I'm sure that he can offer you a decent option bud��
Unfortunately we don't do the fold up options. We have done stand ups before, but you need a decent amount of height to store. We also offer the hot zinc dip but its not really a must up here, even kzn clients that ship down don't often go for it either.

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
The rattle is a byproduct of the amazing folding function. Fold up against the wall in the garage; out of the way.
Really well made, don't confuse a rattle with bad workmanship. Properly galvanized for KZN conditions.

I have the added box for my Pretzel 2; works like a charm.
Just to be clear, I did not mean anything with regards to poor workmanship ;-)

LIVE2RIDE

Forum Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately we don't do the fold up options. We have done stand ups before, but you need a decent amount of height to store. We also offer the hot zinc dip but its not really a must up here, even kzn clients that ship down don't often go for it either.
Any Durban or coastal client who orders a trailer without having it properly hot dip galvanized (not even electro-galvanized) will regret his decision within a year!

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
Any Durban or coastal client who orders a trailer without having it properly hot dip galvanized (not even electro-galvanized) will regret his decision within a year!
Sorry, Im going to have to differ here ut of experience. We do pley trailers that go to KZN, CT and other coastal regions. Plenty trailers are only painted, some recreational and some commercial. I haven't had one single complaint yet in 12 years of manufacturing.

But, the option is the clients obviously. We can hot dip or paint ;-)

LIVE2RIDE

Forum Member
Reaction score
Sorry, Im going to have to differ here ut of experience. We do pley trailers that go to KZN, CT and other coastal regions. Plenty trailers are only painted, some recreational and some commercial. I haven't had one single complaint yet in 12 years of manufacturing.

But, the option is the clients obviously. We can hot dip or paint ;-)
Then they are clearly not fussy or meticulous with their trailers - not knocking your product at all but any untreated metal which is merely painted will rust in no time at the coast! It really is a major problem for us.

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
Then they are clearly not fussy or meticulous with their trailers - not knocking your product at all but any untreated metal which is merely painted will rust in no time at the coast! It really is a major problem for us.
I get that rust is bad down by you guys. If looked after correctly a painted (correctly) trailer will last ;-) Many other things down by you are painted and seem to hold up alrightish.

MikeG

Forum Member
Reaction score
I owned a single bike fold-up from XRad which I had for 3 years, excellent build quality. Really rate it.

On another note ozosborne I bought one of your trailers which I never thought to get galvanized. The paint has chipped and there is minor rust. But other than that it's a top class product with excellent workmanship, I've had it for 18 months and very happy with it. No plans to change, just need to get it galvanized sometime.

Both Xrad and Xfactor make top quality trailers, and are a pleasure to deal with. Appreciate ozosborne involvement, give aways etc on Moto 101, gives him the edge in my opinion.

Last edited:

Tman21

Happily Married
Reaction score
I owned a single bike fold-up from XRad which I had for 3 years, excellent build quality. Really rate it.

On another note ozosborne I bought one of your trailers which I never thought to get galvanized. The paint has chipped and there is minor rust. But other than that it's a top class product with excellent workmanship, I've had it for 18 months and very happy with it. No plans to change, just need to get it galvanized sometime.

Both Xrad and Xfactor make top quality trailers, and are a pleasure to deal with. Appreciate ozosborne involvement, give always etc on Moto 101, gives him the edge in my opinion.
Lekker Mike, I share the same sentiment. My mates that own small businesses are not always the cheapest but if I believe in their product I support them if the price difference is realistic! Im proud to say that somewhere in 2015/16 I stopped asking for discount from my mates as I try to put myself in their position and it cant be lekker for every "buddy" to ask for discount.

Im buying a trailer in the next few months as soon as I find out where Im gonna move (space issues currently), I can easily buy a cheapie 6-7K that will take care of my needs but after 1K for RWC any work that might need to be performed to get it roadworthy and another 1K for a service and maybe a spare wheel you are in for almost 10K anyway. So I will rather support Oz and have something custome made and its brand new!

Last edited:

BergAttie

Forum Member
Reaction score
My issue with paint is that it gets sandblasted very quickly on dirt roads and galvanising seem to stand up much better to this. Yes you can rubberise but even that does not last.

I get that rust is bad down by you guys. If looked after correctly a painted (correctly) trailer will last ;-) Many other things down by you are painted and seem to hold up alrightish.

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score

Both Xrad and Xfactor make top quality trailers, and are a pleasure to deal with. Appreciate ozosborne involvement, give always etc on Moto 101, gives him the edge in my opinion.
Bring your trailer in for a service if you aren't doing your axle bearings yourself and we will do a paint touch up free of charge.

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
Lekker Mike, I share the same sentiment. My mates that own small businesses are not always the cheapest but if I believe in their product I support them if the price difference is realistic! Im proud to say that somewhere in 2015/16 I stopped asking for discount from my mates as I try to put myself in their position and it cant be lekker for every "buddy" to ask for discount.

Im buying a trailer in the next few months as soon as I find out where Im gonna move (space issues currently), I can easily buy a cheapie 6-7K that will take care of my needs but after 1K for RWC any work that might need to be performed to get it roadworthy and another 1K for a service and maybe a spare wheel you are in for almost 10K anyway. So I will rather support Oz and have something custome made and its brand new!
Thanks bud!!

Prices are a tricky one. So many variables. Like most industries, there are the sharks that under cost and sell at stupid prices, but they often close down taking their suppliers money with them and just re open again, some guys I know of have done this 5 times already!

Its not so much the material and component cost that's the difficult part. Its the fixed overhead. Our tiny little factory sits with an overhead of around R120k a month, that works out to R750 an hour cost just standing. So to cover that with small profit margins (like we make on the bike trailers, our margins only really get good when guys take full house builds, nose cone, jerry can holders etc.) would mean we need volume, which has also shrunk over the years. Our income is mostly made up out of the big rigs and commercial trailers we do, and we also do a lot of repair and refurbs work, which oddly most manufacturers turn away.

But, at the end of the day, we do what it takes to keep the doors open ;-)

Always appreciate the support.

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
My issue with paint is that it gets sandblasted very quickly on dirt roads and galvanising seem to stand up much better to this. Yes you can rubberise but even that does not last.
Totally agree with you there. With paint at least you get surface rust which is visible and easily treated. Agreed that galvanizing is best as it wont chip and it also flows inside the tubing and coats it. Rubberizing is VERY dangerous. All rubberized trailers we have had here have been rotted from the inside out with no show of rust at all on the outside. You will only find out when the tubing snaps clean in half that there's rust. Same story on powder coating, the rust climbs in underneath and starts going to work.

ozosborne

twat throttle
Reaction score
Thanks ozosborne will do so as I hadn't even thought to service my trailer. Appreciated
Always a pleasure!! Mst people don't. Up until they are stuck next to the side of the road with a hub that has seized up completely and destroyed the axle, rim and tyre. Ha ha ha!