Your TPI current hours?

Tman21

Happily Married
Reaction score
9.8hrs
Dropped off at Roost on Monday afternoon (Yes Ian, you read that correct) and its on its way back to me already.
Like all 20's the PV and clutch side casing pisses oil. Whilst at it they notified me that my bike was due for a new map as well which was done.
So all new gaskets on RHS, oil service, new coolant, wash prep, new map, delivery to my door in 48hrs. (they still have 3hrs left)
Must say its been a delightful exchange with them thus far.

Tman21

Happily Married
Reaction score
Ok, so as an update my visit to Roost turned into a absolute fuckin nightmare . . . .

Props to Andrew for trying his best to sort things out in the end and overall still happy with the service of Roost but not so much KTM . . .

Long story short there is a new map on the 20's, if you are currently happy with your bike dont let KTM change the map its kak. My bike now also suffers from low idle and stalling on down hills due to Austria giving us only one map with no way of loading the old one again.

Beleive me we tried everything.

Anywhoo, my bike is now on 17hrs and i started prepping to do the idle screw mod today and below, my findings:

Just to keep the tradition of trying to remove anything from a hard air boot:
Bent my finger and filled him right up with super glue!

On the Engine side:

On the Airbox side: (clean well oiled filter on every ride and only 17hrs)

Air bypas screw: (big round guy next to the choke)

Behind Butterfly cover:

Also came across this:

Actual idle/butterfly stop/grub screw: (contains worlds strongest locktite)
(Metric M5/0.8 - 2.5mm allen key)

Measurement in the dark is from factory and the next is with the grub screw completely removed:

Going forward I will replace the grub screw with allen cap or flat screwdriver M5x50mm bolt with a spring, as you leave it external for easier setting without removing the TB every single time the spring is just to put some tension . . . . . .
There is already a hole in the TB to accommodate the screw, the only mod is to actually slot the cover of the butterfly as the M5x50 will stic out the TB by about 20mm.

Will update as I go.

Tombstone

The Old Ballie
Reaction score
I just got my bike back from Roost with the latest map. I asked for the angriest available. Andrew said they had a new "angry" map but guys with this map were returning to have it tamed back down. I took this "angry" map and I absolutely love it!

Looking forward to ripping up De Wildt on Saturday with it. I am almost 50 hours up and I have been battling to find the love on this TPI thing since my 2016. This map may be the answer.....

Tman21

Happily Married
Reaction score
Exactly what you want, more fuel throughout the range.

The first time I got the bike back the mechanic thought he like my bike much better after winding the PV dolly 2 full turns out. . . . . .

That combined with the new map saw it running like something angryAF

You dont ride tech so i doubt the idling thing will heavily effect you but would like to hear your feedback.

Tombstone

The Old Ballie
Reaction score
Exactly what you want, more fuel throughout the range.

The first time I got the bike back the mechanic thought he like my bike much better after winding the PV dolly 2 full turns out. . . . . .

That combined with the new map saw it running like something angryAF

You dont ride tech so i doubt the idling thing will heavily effect you but would like to hear your feedback.
haha, the stigma never dies!

Many would disagree with you these days. No, I certainly don’t prefer to spend my day in the koppies, but what goes up must come down and visa-versa.... I go up and down a few things....

adamktm

Forum Member
Reaction score
0.3 of an hour. Haven’t even started it. Hoping to start it tomorrow just so I can make sure it’ll be fine for Saturday’s ride 🤩

0C3F1D11-04EF-4F82-952A-27740AFC71F1.jpeg

Tman21

Happily Married
Reaction score
haha, the stigma never dies!

Many would disagree with you these days. No, I certainly don’t prefer to spend my day in the koppies, but what goes up must come down and visa-versa.... I go up and down a few things....
I know i know but compared to our average weekend you only do mielie fields.

swazi_matt

Forum Member
Reaction score
Ok, so as an update my visit to Roost turned into a absolute fuckin nightmare . . . .

Props to Andrew for trying his best to sort things out in the end and overall still happy with the service of Roost but not so much KTM . . .

Long story short there is a new map on the 20's, if you are currently happy with your bike dont let KTM change the map its kak. My bike now also suffers from low idle and stalling on down hills due to Austria giving us only one map with no way of loading the old one again.

Beleive me we tried everything.

Anywhoo, my bike is now on 17hrs and i started prepping to do the idle screw mod today and below, my findings:

Just to keep the tradition of trying to remove anything from a hard air boot:
Bent my finger and filled him right up with super glue!

On the Engine side:

On the Airbox side: (clean well oiled filter on every ride and only 17hrs)

Air bypas screw: (big round guy next to the choke)

Behind Butterfly cover:

Also came across this:

Actual idle/butterfly stop/grub screw: (contains worlds strongest locktite)
(Metric M5/0.8 - 2.5mm allen key)

Measurement in the dark is from factory and the next is with the grub screw completely removed:

Going forward I will replace the grub screw with allen cap or flat screwdriver M5x50mm bolt with a spring, as you leave it external for easier setting without removing the TB every single time the spring is just to put some tension . . . . . .
There is already a hole in the TB to accommodate the screw, the only mod is to actually slot the cover of the butterfly as the M5x50 will stic out the TB by about 20mm.

Will update as I go.
That looks a bit worrying. Have you identified the source? Poor air filter fitment or seal?

Tman21

Happily Married
Reaction score
Well KTM oiled it on the last 2 rides and other than that just myself. Same method as the last 8 years and ive never had a bikes motor give up on me.

Bell ray filter oil by hand only with a generous serving of grease too. I inspect the airboot and its always been clean but obviously not clean enough.

I got the bike with dealer fitted hyde so im not pulling the exhaust just yet. If the hyde comes off im doing carbontek.

Anyone here done rings only on a TPI?

Tman21

Happily Married
Reaction score
I just got my bike back from Roost with the latest map. I asked for the angriest available. Andrew said they had a new "angry" map but guys with this map were returning to have it tamed back down. I took this "angry" map and I absolutely love it!

Looking forward to ripping up De Wildt on Saturday with it. I am almost 50 hours up and I have been battling to find the love on this TPI thing since my 2016. This map may be the answer.....
@Tombstone how crazy is that 2020 now uncle?