YZ250 Carb

JuLz

Forum Member
Reaction score
Good Day Everyone !

I am needing to replace my carb for my 2004 yz250, I'm not quite sure on what to look for exactly if someone could give some suggestions on what brand etc to go for or if someone has a spare or knows of where I can get one it will be much appreciated :thumbs up:

thebob

My name is Coco
Reaction score
Your local Yamaha dealer probably your best bet

StuartC

Forum Member
Reaction score
Can you not just repair whats wrong on your old carb?

JuLz

Forum Member
Reaction score
Can you not just repair whats wrong on your old carb?
I'm not sure exactly whats wrong, its been giving problems with not sending enough fuel into (sometimes doesn't allow any fuel into it which creates a big air bubble in pipe from the tank to the carb and I'd have to wiggle the pipe to try and get the fuel to fill up, there's also a problem with the float (i think something is missing from it) because the float doesn't stay in place, previously it would change position and then allow too much fuel in which would then start leaking out of the overflow pipe at the bottom if i left the fuel tap on(when idling or when engine is off)

thebob

My name is Coco
Reaction score
Sounds like a float valve or similar issue. Motocomp keeps all the parts locally and ships quickly

thebob

My name is Coco
Reaction score
From your description of the issue, I would say so. Maybe take the bike to someone like Endurotech to have a look and confirm

JuLz

Forum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, I took my bike for a quick ride yesterday and for some reason when I start shifting down and braking, the bike just starts to bog and die no matter what I do, I tried keeping the revs high, also after it did that once I started it back up again and shifted to first and let out clutch to go it did the same thing, but once I've got some speed and in higher gears it doesn't show any signs of bogging. Think its all to do with the carb/float ?

Destroyer

Forum Member
Reaction score
You did not perhaps put anything on the end of the breather pipe on the fuel tank, causing a vacuum in the tank?

JuLz

Forum Member
Reaction score
You did not perhaps put anything on the end of the breather pipe on the fuel tank, causing a vacuum in the tank?
No, I forgot to mention I did try it with the fuel cap taken off and turning the tap on, nothing changes, so it must be something to do with the carb causing pressure

swazi_matt

Forum Member
Reaction score
I'm sure a new float valve will sort out your problems. The rubber tip of the valve can easily deform, stick etc etc over 14years, especially if the float bowl is left full over extended periods with the fuel left on.